Truckers Left Out of Covid Legislation

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Rachelle, Mar 30, 2020.

Are you staying away from home because you worry about getting someone at home sick?

1. Yes

34.2%
  2. No

65.8%
  1. Rachelle

Rachelle Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Thank you so much. Truckers are such a proud group that so many look at this as asking for a handout. The ones looking at it that way don't seem to realize if they get sick "out there," they could be out thousands, among the other problems, risks, distress, family stress, etc...

It would cost .00 if no one got sick.

nredfor88, truckdriver31 and sealevel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You understand that covid related care is free.

The checks will roll out in about 3 weeks to those who have direct deposit information with uncle sam. Otherwise paper checks in the mail to the last tax residence on record either from 19 returns or from 18 returns.

If you must stop work due to covid you get unemployment bordering on 1000 a week until End of July. Which is 600 federal money on top of whatever your state provides at 100% wages. Due to about 3 million filings last week followed by closer to 10 million more, systems for filing UI is creaking and having to crash etc. All of that is going to take time.

It will not be fast enough to pay april 1 rent which introduces a whole another set of problems if Landlords cannot pay their bills on the building each month they close down and kick everyone out. Then the bank holding that commercial property is faced with a existential threat.

Everything else has been closed. Or will be very soon. The idea that you are still rolling with a job is a good thing. The check will hit as soon as Uncle Sam can get it all out. That will take about 3 weeks for electronic and more for paper checks. The USA is not built to pay everyone.

YOU are what keeps America going in that truck, if you stop and enough millions stop then we are no longer America and face military rule once the violence breaks out.

If I was a CDL holder, I would be rolling already. I know when that truck is needed, particularly with medicines is what I focus on in my area near Memphis for McKesson. But since the DMV for CDL testing etc is closed until today actually, hours are unknown at this point due to Covid actions by our Governor. We will find out more tomorrow or 1 april.

bzinger and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I'm not a fan of government handouts. I think it is important to keep people working when they can instead of sitting at home waiting for a check. We are fortunate to be fairly isolated in this industry. All your plan asks for is a little insurance for those who wish to work. Seems common sense and cost effective to me. I signed the petition. First f'n petition I have ever signed in my life. Lol

Rachelle and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i get mine and i make over 87k. i also have full benefits. i get $3400 on my gov check. what saved me was i file a joint return with my with that stays at home. so me and wife plus 3 kids

6. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    thats why you work for a great company. those bennies come in handy. im out on loa and still making $60k on leave

7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Why are you loa?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  8. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    medical

sealevel Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Is anyone doing anything different in trucking ? I'm basically running the same as always. I drove empty 4 time by the Toilet Paper factory in PA. Seems like maybe they need some of that shipped. I drove by it and pickup scrap paper for recycling. That recycled paper has to be dirt cheap freight. Now I hear freight may dry up, because nobody is work. So nobody will have money to spend. Everyone is worried about paying the basic bills. I don't want to say it over reaction but so far I'm trucking as usual I'm working 70 hours a week still. My trucking company is still pushing us to work 70 hours a week. Then you listen to satellite radio and it all doom and and end of the word basically.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  10. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    dude i feel your pain. but your not safe behind the wheel talking like this. you are a total value to the trucking industry. hang in there

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    We have the two extremes. We have the doom and gloom people. Then it's business at normal just wash your hand and keep on trucking side of thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.