Truckers Left Out of Covid Legislation

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Rachelle, Mar 30, 2020.

Are you staying away from home because you worry about getting someone at home sick?

1. Yes

34.2%
  2. No

65.8%
  1. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I have never thought truck drivers are more important than anyone else. We all do it for money, just like bankers, plumbers, and electricians. Trucking is somewhat unique because some of us love it through thick and thin. Interesting times to say the least. Gonna hand the next sixteen year old girl working the drive thru at McDonald's a twenty dollar tip for sticking it out while the rest of the Nancy's stay home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    We are needed now, perhaps not so much in the coming months. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet to the average American what were in store for economically in this country. At 20% unemployment the system will implode. That’s not doom and gloom thinking that’s just facts Ask any financial expert out there or any expert on the economy, once unemployment nears or hovers around 20% the entire system breaks down. We will absolutely hit at least 15% from this. And we’re not going to be immune to it once the hoarding and such settles down. People are going to be broke and they’re not gonna be spending money which means less goods being hauled about the country.

so yes enjoy running our butts off for the next month or two and then will be in the same boat as everyone else. Facing a loss of our jobs. The only advantage we have over other industries, is when things do pick back up and they will, the demand for trucking will be back once again.

4. Rachelle

Rachelle Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2020
    No, there are NO guarantees that all Covid related care is free. That is disinformation and you should not give people a false sense of security saying that. Two insurers so far that I am aware of have waived all co pays and deductibles, but plenty of people will face hospital and care costs.

You have to get laid off to get unemployment.

Truck drivers have no guarantee of sick pay. It depends on their carriers, and how many they employ. Even then, they may only receive a short number of days. FMLA *might* kick in in some situations. I actually have a reporter who is contacting an attorney in NY about that. Yes, it's that complicated that it requires an attorney to figure it out.

Panic is totally unnecessary. Planning is important. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You'd be wise to plan for worst case scenarios. It's a great time to pull a reefer if you want to keep rolling.

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Whole lot of freaking people would love to be
    Getting our Paycheck's right now instead of
    Sitting at home.

What's the use of going home right now,
    Can't do anything,everything is closed.
    Now is the time to get every penny you can.
    Who knows when this craziness is gonna end.

Bean Jr., bzinger and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    FD369AD0-0D3B-45BD-B7A3-720830B57433.png FD369AD0-0D3B-45BD-B7A3-720830B57433.png
    i get both. federal leave and company leave

7. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
  8. Rachelle

Rachelle Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Dude, lol, awesome! I am happy for you, I seriously am. Not everyone has your benefits though!

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  9. Rachelle

Rachelle Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Is an employer required by law to provide paid sick leave to employees who are out of work because they have pandemic influenza, have been exposed to a family member with influenza, or are caring for a family member with influenza?

Federal law generally does not require employers to provide paid leave to employees who are absent from work because they are sick with pandemic flu, have been exposed to someone with the flu or are caring for someone with the flu, although pursuant to Executive Order 13706, some federal contractors may be required to provide such leave to employees under certain circumstances, such as if the employee or a family member is sick with the flu or seeking care related to the flu. Certain state or local laws may have different requirements, which should be independently considered by employers when determining their obligation to provide paid sick leave.

If the leave qualifies as FMLA-protected leave, the statute allows the employee to elect or the employer to require the substitution of paid sick and paid vacation/personal leave in some circumstances. Employers should encourage employees that are ill with pandemic influenza to stay home and should consider flexible leave policies for their employees.

Source: COVID-19 and the Family and Medical Leave Act Questions and Answers | U.S. Department of Labor

See why it isn't so easy to figure out?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  10. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    we are hiring 500 plus this year. i never had a thing for driving for them. i was a total outlaw trucker. but one day i said to my self. let me start beating with the house instead of against them. its been the best thing for me.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My insurer already knows that if I have covid19 care its free to me. They have publicly waived it to the US Government. (I am on a medicare insurer, a major one.)

I do not spread what has been publicly stated by them falsely. In addition the 4000 dollar testing and so forth is not to be a thought if I happen to be under that kind of care for whatever reason this insurer has publicly stated that the costs will be waived against me. I will not be billed for it. The insurer has done very well per medical costs leaving very little for me to worry about as my share.

So your claims of disinformation on my part is moot. There was a time in the early infections where people have been billed 4000 for the test kit plus almost 3000 for the CT scan which is definitive to show the glass scarring in the lungs and so on months ago. All of that has been finished from my view so if I did go I am not worried about costs. If I needed to be put into a 20,000 dollar a night ICU that is covered in my plan as well. No worries. Arkansas has also made room for that part of the costs as well.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.