Trucking A New Career 1 Drivers journey

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Big Papaxx, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    At least you got that out of the way already!! Lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Papaxx

Big Papaxx Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    So my journey started when a former employee family friend had a very unfortunate incident with going to a mega carrier to attend there CDL school and training program. Through helping him it rekindled my interest in becoming an OTR driver... As I started researching my first venture was to join this site and gather as much info as possible. By reading asking questions giving opinions and having a few disagreements I moved forward with my research and focused on what type of trucking I wanted to pursue and more importantly what school to go too.

After doing a considerable amount of research.. I talked with drivers at truck stops, distribution centers companies I have done business with distribution centers online and even several trucking companies. I studied the FMCSA and DOT rules and regulations. Talked with my CPA and Attorney (about the legalities of lease programs) and tax liabilities. I also am fortunate to have a few very good friends that owned and operated ( there own authority) there own trucks and have 20 plus years in the trucking industry. So I am confident that I have researched and gotten as much information as possible to make an informed decision entering this Industry.

With this knowledge I submitted apps to my top 5 choices of Carriers to drive for.. Now this list was also researched each individual company extensively. I followed up with each carrier and secured a Pre-Hire letter from the ones that based on my application were interested enough to send me a Pre-Hire letter.. It was a mix of Flatbed Carriers Dry Van and Reefer carriers. Some were flatbed only some were reefer only and then there were the carriers who did Flatbed Reefer and Dry Van. My other requirements were had a lease program, were not what I consider to be a Mega Carrier (IMO) did not require mandatory home time ( yes I have a home) as it appears that 1 of the keys to making a lease work is to stay out and run. Now at first my personal views on driver facing cameras was going to be a factor but the more I thought about it (not that I support them) I decided it would limit my options. So I received 4 pre hire letters from the 5 companies I applied and requested that from. I will post more details of how I finally decided on the Carrier.

Finally in choosing the school I will attend. First I felt it was important to have the Pre-Hire letters and a decision on the carrier I would join prior to selecting a school. As I researched schools I eliminated the Mega Carriers in house schools. While this is my preference and it in no way is to imply there is anything wrong with those schools.. They were just not a fit for me and since I decided I was not going to drive for 1 of the Megas I saw no reason to even look at there schools or programs. what I also found is that Private school and colleges are quite expensive. Much of this cost can be offset either by choosing to drive for a company that is affiliated with the school or tuition reimbursement or financial aid.. So I also eliminated the schools that required me to sign a contract with an affiliated carrier. Again this was a personal choice and in most cases the carriers were IMO mega carriers. The college cdl programs seem to be 1 of the only programs that are not affiliated with carriers therefore they do not push for you to sign with any particular carrier in most cases. However they are also in many cases much more expensive and much longer in duration. I also found that some of the bigger private schools are now owned or at least controlled by certain mega carriers and therefore the school will do everything within there power to get you to sign on with that carrier.

So I found a couple of schools that while they are owned by a particular trucking company they are run completely independent. Yes they would like you to sign on with them after graduation. It is NOT required and it is truly each individuals decision. Now of these schools some require that you have residency in the state they are located but others do not. Price is on par with the other private schools. The program meets the minimum of any carrier (160 hours) and they also in many cases will provide transportation hotel and meals (or money for meals) which is all included in the tuition price. Also you can pay for the entire tuition up front but if you choose you can attend without any up front costs.. This is where they entice you to sign with the company to drive. They will reimburse part of the tuition and if you drive for them you will not pay interest on the remainder not reimbursed. If you graduate and choose to leave for another company you are obligated to pay the entire tuition cost and interest on that amount. So it can be costly but at the same time you can choose who you want to drive for.. So I chose a school that I feel is a good fit for me and what I want to do. I will be starting December 7th 2015. After graduation I will be heading directly to the company I have chose to drive for..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  4. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    So I found when selecting a school you need to make sure that the company you want to drive for will recognize the school you attended. This is 1 reason I did not go with a Mega carrier owned school. If you decide that after training that it is not a fit most companies I spoke with said that they would still require 3-6 months of OTR to hire . You also can run into that same issue with a private school depending on the relationship they have with the carriers they push. Example Roadmaster. While a nationwide accredited school. Werner is the only company they consider a Top tier company. That means that unless you are willing to sign a contract with Werner they will tell you that they cannot finance. They tell you financing is only available through them if you sign on with 1 of there Top Tier Companies.. This is becoming more and more common. So just some information for those of you looking at schools..

So I start school on December 7th. Since I am in So Cal visiting my son I will be making my way to Southern Illinois next week. Which is my choice. The school does offer the all expense paid 1 way ticket aboard the luxury liner known as Greyhound. However being I was able to cross this experience off my bucket list many years ago (from So Cal to Iowa) it really is a once in a life time experience that you will never forget.. I love the drive and can visit some friends along the way. Need to get duplicate SS card as they will not accept my present card because it is laminated.. Not really sure why?? But I have heard that before and then you get there and they do not even ask to see your SS card.. Better safe than sorry.. It will be a bit difficult to get reacquainted with Snow and cold since I have been out in Southern Cal the last 3 winters.. Sunny and 82 3 days before Thanksgiving is really quite nice..

Also have finalized the company I will be driving for after school.. I finally came too the realization. That what I need more than anything else is to get experience. Once that is accomplished I can go where I want.. Also I would highly recommend to any new or wanna be baby truckers to check out @BuckeyeKev thread of his experience into trucking. It has been very informative for me and quite entertaining..

Special thanks to @Chinatown @BuckeyeKev @jaso37 @HometimeQueen @gntorres61 @dano86 and @TTR it is appreciated .

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    BuckeyeKev and HometimeQueen Thank this.
  5. jaso37

jaso37 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I wish you the best of luck.

Just take your time in the school and listen to the instructors.

Big Papaxx Thanks this.
  6. HometimeQueen

HometimeQueen Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Missouri
    You are most welcome, Big Papaxx. I wish you the very best and look forward to reading your thread.

Big Papaxx Thanks this.
  7. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    So I thought I would take a moment and let everyone know what company I decided to start my career with.. Now I want to say right out of the gate. I am very happy with my decision. But as with almost everything in trucking. Things are always subject to change. TransAm out of Olaithe Kansas. I am very aware of the negativity associated with them. However since I believe in luck of the Irish, leprechauns, four leaf clovers and Lucky Charms (cereal) I have nothing to worry about right? I can and I will give an accounting as to why I made this particular decision should someone want to know. Now if anyone feels the undeniable urge to yell, ridicule, insult degrade or just plain feel like being a Jack Off well then go right ahead. while not particularly productive if it makes ya feel better ... Well that's why I am here . to make you feel better..

I have my reasons and believe it or not. None of my reasons were because I had NO other options. In fact I had these options with Pre-Hire letters with several companies. System trans, Stevens Transport, Southern Refrigerated, Earl Henderson, Keim TS, , TMC, Boyd Brothers, Prime, and CR England but I chose to go with TransAm. I also had the opportunity and the resources to go to a 3rd party and get my own truck with my own authority ( I have already submitted the necessary paperwork and fees) but I still chose TransAm..

Your feedback is welcome and quite frankly Expected..lol

BuckeyeKev and Puppage Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good luck & best wishes.
    You'll be ridin' in style with those fancy trucks. I read they even have flatscreen tv already installed.

9. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    Thanks China. Yes Flat screens and Direct Tv. Both free..

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good for you, man. You listened to all sides and made YOUR choice. That's the best you can do. I wish you much luck & success.

Big Papaxx Thanks this.
  11. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    I don't know why anybody would put you down for where you decided to go. That is your life and your business, not theirs. I wish you the best of luck as you head off into your new life. I actually really enjoyed the time I drove trucks versus the time I spent driving buses. It was quite nice to have freight that couldn't come up and bi**h at me in the middle of the night. ;)

Hope you get all the miles you want and never see flashing lights in your mirrors... best of luck......

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    BuckeyeKev, Big Papaxx and Puppage Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.