Trucking A New Career 1 Drivers journey

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Big Papaxx, Nov 21, 2015.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Did you reach out to Cranky Yankee?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Papaxx

Big Papaxx Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    Yes I have heard from him. Actually the thread that he and others are involved with about TransAm was what peeked my Interest in transam. We actually were chatting this morning. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Cranky Yankee HTQ and chinatown they are all a class act. As is the vast majority of the people on this site. There advice and willingness to offer assistance has been and will continue to be priceless for me... The shear knowledge of the men and woman on TTR is impressive and completely opened my eyes and my mind to the brotherhood/ sisterhood of the industry... I not only understand I can appreciate and am fortunate to be a part of such an industry. I will continue to reach out to cranky and the others for help and as a resource..
    I kinda look at it like poker. It takes 5 minutes to learn but a lifetime to master..

Father Luke and BuckeyeKev Thank this.
  4. BuckeyeKev

BuckeyeKev Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Outstanding thread thus far. Just like poker, and football you cannot let the v last game, hand, play, or day put you on tilt.

Big Papaxx Thanks this.
  5. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    Well the countdown has begun. I will be leaving the warmth and tranquility of southern California in a couple of days. heading back to southern Illinois to start CDL school on December 7th.. I have gone back and forth as to where I want to land after graduation. I have decided and while I had thought it would be TransAm after receiving an email this morning with an employment offer I have changed my mind and will be going to System Transport. it is the flatbed division of Trans-System Inc. out of Washington.

I wasn't really expecting it but have a nervous excitement about this little adventure. So I will spend the next couple of days getting my long form physical done packing and making sure all is in order. I wanted to ask if anyone knows how long the written test scores are good for. I took and passed general knowledge tankers air brakes and combo's written tests in October. I was going to get my permit when I took the tests but since the Missouri DMV said being from Illinois I was better off to take the Driver examination record with the scores to Illinois and get my permit there.. They said that the scores would be good for 90 days and I should not have to take the tests again to get my permit. However you never really know when it comes to the DMV..

So the journey begins..

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  6. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Ain't that the truth. After being told by the main office in Columbus that my test score sheet from Missouri would be sufficient, along with the required identification, to get my Ohio CDL that was soooo not the case.

Luckily, I chose to get a MO CDL before coming back to Ohio. Without it, there was no chance I'd get an Ohio license. However, because of it I had to retake the doubles, tanker, and HazMat endorsements again.

The only real authority on what is good is the clerk right in front of you.

Big Papaxx Thanks this.
  7. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    Agreed and that is why I didn't get Missouri CDL permit. In Illinois with an out of state cdl or cdl permit you have to retake all tests written and skills.... I guess that is 1 reason some companies wont even hire out of Illinois.. i dont get it as I know 1 company in missouri that they use the hotel you are in for there orientation and school as your address to establish residency in Missouri for out of state students.. Kinda like selling CDL's

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  8. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Big P, I'm originally from MO...where were you hanging out?

9. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Like deja vu all over again. Might I be alum of that "institution?"

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Thanks this.
  10. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    Actually No.. This is 1 of the big carriers who run there own school it is amazing what some get away with..

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  11. Big Papaxx

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    The company is in springfield that uses there hotel for residency. It is surprising cause I know that in Illinois you have to show you have been a resident for 30 days with an out of state license and thats a regular license.. .. But now heading to O'fallon illinois this week for cdl school

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.