Trucking and back pain, tips for easing it.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Sep 23, 2018.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I’m watching this infomercial, Dr Ho’s De-Stress compression belts. And they show people sitting in an office wearing this belt and smiling. I’ve seen drivers wear the old velcro type stabilizers. Some of you like these things because they give you “support “

Okay, first of all, I am not a doctor (then again, I seriously doubt Dr Ho is too). I used to have bad back pain as a teen. I used to wear the thick leather weight lifters belt. The thing I realized was, while I had that belt on, it did help my back pain. BUT my back muscles actually got WEAKER. The belt gave me the stability I needed, but since the little stabilizer muscles were no longer needed to give me balanced and keep me upright, they began to atrophy. In other words, I had to wear the belt all the time. That’s NOT what I wanted.

As drivers, the number one problem that’s going to give us back pain is Bad Posture. I used to drive with the seat leaned back, doing the ol ‘gangsta lean.’ Your hip flexors will stay constantly contracted and over stretch your lower back (think shin splints for your mid section). If you have the A Typical driver, office jockey lower back pain from sitting all day, here’s the simple solution:

1. Set your seat/chain up straight verticals. Sit up straight like your momma taught you. Bad sitting posture is the number one cause.
    2. Stretch your hip flexors during breaks from driving. If you are unsure on how to do this, ask your doctor for help (there are videos on YouTube, but like everything else, it seems that no one can agree on a method)

Again, DONOT drive with one of those belts for lower back support. It will eventually cripple you.

Luck in battle.

Lepton1, otherhalftw, tscottme and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Truck drivers love Ho's.

Bakerman, Puppage and Jazz1 Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    C8C0C4AF-B0BB-404A-8E38-7C182A389E10.jpeg
    Here you go truck driver. One Ho. Enjoy

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Most back pain is attributed to weak back muscles. Try and get folks to do core exercises...good luck:cool:
    I had to strengthen core muscles following spinal fusion as I had to wear one of these sexy TSLO braces for 3 months following surgery. Still do the exercises a few times a week 3 years later and no back pain.

Attached Files:

6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Stretching is crucial in daily life.
    But this is my hippocratic statement of the day.

Lepton1, 86scotty, Jazz1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Preventative maintenance for the body.

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you don’t mind, could you go into more detail of your rehab process and your maintenance program?

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    @TripleSix with the lifting belt your stabilizer muscles don't get any action. Being a power lifter I never liked belts because people could get away from not using proper form. Even on my 1 rep maxes with proper form I've never hurt myself

11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    These were the only exercises along with short walks after brace removed image.jpg
    Wore brace 3 1/2 months. 2 10 minute walks daily and no lifting over 5 lbs. Did little else, watch dusters, and tinker in shop without exerting force.
    Returned to work as soon as brace came off and did 20 minutes core exercises every morning for 3 months. I was 57 years old
    Following season I was snowboarding as I have for 20 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.