Trucking and mental health issues

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by futuretruckertx, Jul 22, 2013.

1. futuretruckertx

futuretruckertx Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    As I prepare to enter into the trucking profession, I frequently watch youtube videos and get the impression that some solo drivers have issues with mental depression and loneliness. Especially the video on the trucker that was talking about Outlaw-trucking made me really concerned about my personal mental health down the road. So I searched for some articles and got hold of these statistics:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22757596

"Data were collected from a random sample of 316 male truckers between the ages of 23 and 76 at a large truck stop located within a 100-mile radius of Greensboro, North Carolina, USA, using a self-administered 82-item questionnaire. Surveyed truckers were found to have significant issues affecting their mental health, such as loneliness (27.9%), depression (26.9%), chronic sleep disturbances (20.6%), anxiety (14.5%), and other emotional problems (13%). Findings have potential to help researchers develop interventions to improve the emotional and occupational health of truck drivers, a highly underserved population. Mental health promotion, assessment, and treatment must become a priority to improve the overall trucking environment for truckers, the transportation industry, and safety on US highways."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    I'm never alone. I got the big man upstairs named Jesus

4. ShootThis

ShootThis Medium Load Member

So what is the question?

futuretruckertx Thanks this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The chronically unemployed have more mental health issues than truckers. Truckers that protect their CDL and health will always be employed.

7. Wanderingaimlessly

Wanderingaimlessly Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    :biggrin_25520:
    I choked on my soda, thank you.

8. Wanderingaimlessly

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    It is nice to see that some actually cares about truckers although don't those numbers also hold true for the rest of the working world as well? Other than the sleep disorders of course due to the erratic nature of the industry.

futuretruckertx Thanks this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    They could have went to a Star Trek geek convention and gotten similar results. As usual, most statistics and studies involving trucking held by people on the outside of the industry is just another biased exercise in stupidity. You could do a study about butt hair and come up with more alarming findings.

1 Do you have butt hair?
    2. Do you groom your butt hair?
    3. Have you ever thought about killing someone while grooming your butt hair?

then someone would post about the findings, "Statistics show that 36% of people with but that are psychotic. Should the FMCSA start screening drivers with butt hair? It's all about safety!"

10. Wanderingaimlessly

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Stop please! I don't have any more soda to choke on now. That's some funny #### right hair...

11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Are there trucking companies that have psychiatrists give full scale psychiatric exams to both new drivers and veteran drivers to make sure that they are emotionally, mentally, and psychologically able to start or continue driving on the nations highways and streets? I ask only because, (per the forum), trucking takes a huge emotional, mental, and psychological toll on its drivers. Quite often, it also takes a huge physical toll on its drivers.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

futuretruckertx and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.