Trucking and time off?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mindbender, Aug 11, 2007.

1. mindbender

mindbender Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2007
    East Coast
    HI,
    I think this would be the only place in the world I can say this without being made fun of. I have wanted to be a trucker for as long as I can remember. I have a family and have always wanted to do this but didn't for fear of being away. Well my wife and I have decided that I should go over the rd for a few years to try to make more money and be able to provide a better life for our kids. I am very excited about this. I have done a lot of research and decided to go with Schneider to get there training and do there 18 month commitment. As it stands right now I will be going to there school in 2 weeks. Here is my question. I love amusement parks but mainly roller coasters. After I get out on the rd and I get adjusted to everything is there anytime to stop at a park for about 2 hours ride what I want then get back on the rd? I understand that it won't always work that way, but is there away to fit that in. I am on the east coast and there are some coasters that I have not been on out here and many on the west coast. If I was in the area in the summer I would love to go in for a hour. Should I ever expect that to happen or am I dreaming. If any of you have any advise for me please feel free to share it. I have looked at Schneider and have read all the things about the different company's on this forum and I think I have made the right choice but I am open to opinions. I hope to here form you guys soon!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandleswife

panhandleswife <strong>Florida Girl</strong>

Jan 14, 2007
    welcome and good luck to you i am jen , i sorry i cant help ya but this is a good plce for peeps to help

4. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Someone who loves roller coasters as much as I do! What a great idea. Might not work out as often as you want it too, but definetely possible.

5. mindbender

Aug 11, 2007
    East Coast
    ^ If you love coasters go to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and you will find more info than you ever thought possible!

So it is clear this is not an advertisement for them.

6. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman <strong>"Positive Pessimist"</strong>

Aug 4, 2007
    Amarillo Tx
    If your going into trucking to make a lot of money your going to have a rude surprise, at least at first. Starting pay will tend to suck pretty bad and to make decent money your going to have spend long periods away from home. After a year are so you will have experience and you can make better money and possibly better home time but that first year will be very rough. You'll need you families understanding and support to make it through. I'm going back into trucking after a very long time away but I'm divorced, my girls are grown and married, I have no debts and have worked on the road most of my life as a pipe welder/fitter, trucking will be semi-retirement for me.:biggrin_2553:Please understand I'm not trying to discourage you cause trucking can be a good life but its not an easy one. Good luck.

7. mindbender

Aug 11, 2007
    East Coast
    I completely understand what you mean about the pay. If I explained the past 2 years you would understand that the first year trucking will be an improvement over what has been going on in our check book. I understand before I make decent money I will need to get a few good years under my belt. I do have my wifes support and our first few years of marriage I was gone a lot with my job so we understand time away from each other. Not to mention she was from the islands and I was on the east coast when we were dating. God has been good and we have been married to each other for almost 11 years now. Just for the sake of asking in your opinion what can I expect money wise from the first year?

8. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    Looks like you can make $28,000 to $35,000 first year with most companies if your willing to work and pay your dues.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Watkins Shepherd claims $43,000 for first yr nooobs. I would way rather drive for them than SNI. For one they care about their drivers a lot more. Evidence for one thing the APU for summer/winter driver comfort at night.

10. mindbender

Aug 11, 2007
    East Coast
    I thought of one thing I wanted to ask. About 2 years ago my family went thru a lot of stress. My mom found out she had a large brain tumor and my wife had a hysterectomy and so many other things. Well I went to my doctor for something and he thought I was under a lot of stress. He put me on Zoloft and told me to stay on it till things calmed down. Well I did (wish I had stuck to my guns about meds) I don't take it on any regular basis now and by the end of the year I don't plan to take it anymore at all. Will that be an issue on my medical exam for my cdl?

11. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    CAN'T TAKE IT AT ALL. TO GET DOT CARD

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.