Trucking companies that hire with an impaired on abstract.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ilovetruckz, Oct 6, 2021.

1. K-Jack

K-Jack Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Back in 2018 an ON based O/O I met was working for Q Line and had one of those ignition interlock devices installed in his truck due to a past impaired conviction of some sort - I don't know the details but he was employable at that time anyway .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ilovetruckz

ilovetruckz Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2021
    Wow. Now that must have been heavy on insurance.

Anyway, got an interview at Gardewine on Monday. Told them all about it. No problem doing d&a testing. One time thing shouldn't affect your whole career thank god.

'88K100 and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    In North Carolina, USA, in '91 I acquired a D. W. I. in my then 4 wheeler.
    Had to wait 7 years b4 upgrading License to Class A.

Had problems with some Transportation Companies, as well some of the less approved companies.

Dunno about Canada but in the States the record stays for Life (like a Felony).

Hope something positive works out for ya.
    CHEERS!!

5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Considering it drops off your driver abstract after 3 years, I'd say it's best to wait the one year and let it fall off. There will definitely be some companies that will hire you with the impaired but you will just mess up your CVOR working for them.

There are shunting jobs available too with Amazon, they don't check abstracts and they pay pretty good.

I'd say just wait the year and do something else in the meantime.

ilovetruckz Thanks this.
  6. ilovetruckz

Oct 6, 2021
    Thanks for the meaningful reply.. And you're right. 3 Years on the Abstract but possibly 5 years on the CVOR. I'm hearing insurance companies can always see it though, and that's where the barrier lies. Gardewine seems like a decent company with rrsp matching and pension, I'll give them a try.

'88K100 and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  7. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    I was under the impression that CVOR and abstract were separate. Unless you got the DUI in a CMV I don't see why that DUI would be on your CVOR, but I could be incorrect. For the most part when I applied to companies they just requested the 3 years and didn't check much else. It is my understanding that things fall off the CVOR after 2 years.

We all make mistakes man, my friend got a DUI two years ago and was without a license for 6 months, now he has that interlock ignition device in his car. Just learn from it and move on.

Depending on what kind of work you're looking for I can recommend you some companies to work for.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Phantom Trucker and ilovetruckz Thank this.
  8. ilovetruckz

Oct 6, 2021
    Willing to take anything to get back into it; but prefer flat deck. In Ontario so quad axle/b-train preferred.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    You're hired. I know one of their line haul guys...got a impaired with his personal vehicle. Hired back as soon as license reinstated. They have lots of work on decks division( mostly B-trains) if thats what you want.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    ilovetruckz Thanks this.
  10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    When does your DUI fall off your abstract?

11. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    In Alberta you can have a 10 year abstract pulled.
    The conviction remains as part of your criminal record if before December 2020.
    In December 2020 impaired driving is no longer a criminal offense in Alberta. In a effort to lighten the workload on the court system. The penalties went up and now includes a 90 day instant suspension when charged, before conviction. In addition to the 1 year after conviction for the 1st offense.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.