Trucking companies that you wished were still in business

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Toms_2003_GT, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Toms_2003_GT

Toms_2003_GT Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Soddy Daisy, TN
    My old man worked for Overnite from 1966 or 1967 till about 2001, like all companies they try to pull their crap but he weathered it and retired with a nice healthy pension. So, what companies do you wish were still in business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    To tell the truth before the "old man" retired CXI in Springfield Mo.was actually pretty nice. I made money, any problems with my pay was fixed and the runs actually paid pretty good. Yes there were the 2-3 days sitting in the meat patch but then the unloading pay made it worth it. I actually we even got to pick the color for my Pete and our trucks when they decided to paint them! THEN Things changed! The old man let one son and that yoyo of a "general manager" take over and well as the saying about things hit the fan were true! I'm glad I had to quit driving for them just before things wet to hello! I had to move to ATL after Dad died to help Mom and I ran into my last trainee one day and we stopped and he filled me in on what was happening and then the new truck story and I knew when we moved back I wouldn't be driving for them.

Well I actually did for a friend who had a few trucks leased on there and it just wasn't the same company! They had to change their name because of some stupid decisions having to do with a few trucks they got from KW and a law suit and now they are gone! Completely gone. The old and continuing story of the person who started a company and then the downfall when the children take it over thinking it's a money maker so they can buy toys! The building is still there as it's in a silly place to begin with but it's ready for someone with savy and smarts and a few dollars to buy and start back up.

HMMM anyone have a winning lottery number I could have or a few million or so they want to play with! There is such a thing as being honest with your employees!

4. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    CCX.. That was a great company to work for.. Con-way is what it is but I can honestly say I miss working for CCX those first few years..

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I wish that BP would have never bought out ARCO. Before that in the
    80's and 90's ARCO was rated as one of the top ten companies to work for. That's all companies not just trucking companies. Nobody quit and everyone was going to retirement. As soon as BP came in vacation days were cut down, medical insurance went to 70/30, OT was cut down, yearly raises didn't happen anymore, and the smaller terminals were closed and leased out to other companies. And to top it off the drivers were forced to cut their pay at some terminals. It went from a company that cared to a company that could care less.

6. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
  7. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I.T. It was a great company till schneider bought them out and destroyed it.

8. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    Farm Fresh Dairy and Bakery products. Lawton and Ponca City Oklahoma.

These days I hate seeing ANY American company go under or sell out.

9. cherokee96red

cherokee96red Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hernando Beach FL
    Skyway Freight Systems, sister company of Overnite and owned by Union Pacific . Husband drove nightly regional l/h and I worked in the office in NC terminal. Best money, people, everything ever. Hated to see them cease ops and we were there til the bitter end.

10. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    I would like there to be a movement toward employee owned companies. Many drivers know why these decent companies go out of business or are bought out by others. The CEO's will always reward themselves and the owners will always sell out and buy that retirement home they so deserve while turning their back on the employees that helped them build the company in the first place. (This is the point in the story that someone informs me that the owner of any enterprise did it all by himself with no help from anyone.)

Empire building requires using expendables who are gullible enough to run two log books and burn up their youth in an effort to build toward the dreams of others. They are the Dixie cups of industry. When the owner sells out, he hands the hatchet off to the new owners who cut the employees standard of living and the ex-owner walks away always being remembered as "the good guy".

It is time we stop idolizing selfishness.

Anytime someone wins, someone loses. Wealth is not "created", it is taken from others. There are only so many ounces in a gallon of water and that is finite.

11. jmcnewbie

jmcnewbie Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2010
    San Marcos Texas
    Well said, Mr. Blackw900. Hip, Hip, Hooray!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.