Trucking company in fatal motorcyclist crash sued by own insurance company

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by lovesthedrive, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    The policy will pay a million per incident, typically. So the 15 claimants are fighting for a piece of a million dollar pie. The pie doesn't get bigger because there are more claimants.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    The tricky part is that the trial will be held in New Hampshire and as far as some of the folks up there are concerned they want some heads on a stick!

Moving Forward, Bud A. and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i am not a lawyer, so i have to wonder "IF" a bankruptcy actually "saves" a company from further lawsuits....my best guess would be a solid NO

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  5. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    If you screw up and kill a busload of kids and The Hammer gets their grieving parents a jury award of $15 million, your insurance will pay a million and the other 14 million will come out of your hide.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I saw it several times when I was a litigation paralegal. Jury awards a big number, company goes bankrupt, no one gets paid anything beyond whatever the insurance company was on the hook for, owners keep their personal assets, and sometimes open a new company.

It's one reason I'm glad I didn't get a law degree. By this time in my life, I would feel like crap because of all the shady stuff I would have had to do as a zealous advocate for my clients. The saddest part is, our legal system is still better than most in the world.

Bean Jr., x1Heavy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I should hope the state gets sued.

Maybe the feds too.

It's a 1 year cdl suspension for first offense. Don't know what the state timeframe is.

Is there a 30 day window before the suspension starts on either license?
    Is this his first offense? Or are there others not mentioned.

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When some relatives had a business, they were incorporated so.. whatever happens in court the personal possessions such as the car, house etc would have some measure of protection. I am not a expert on legalese at all, however I know enough to stay out of that court house more or less.

My Agent in Arkansas has sat in juries that were for our area relatively high dollar awards and the average award came to around half a million give or take a few.

Yes the 14 million will come out of the hide. I don't know if a thousand years would be sufficient to pay that kind of award. or win the lotto etc.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  9. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    That's the key right there.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I wish people would stop calling him a trucker. He was driving a hotshot. Some of those guys are basically landscapes with a Silverado and a Big Tex trailer.

Bud A., lovesthedrive and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.