Trucking company job postings–Truth vs lies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Life on Wheels, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Hey y'all.
    I'm currently a tanker driver who hauls regionally out west. I've always driven tanker, but when COVID-19 hit, things slowed down and my company found some dry van loads to haul to keep us busy for a few months. I'm back on tanker now, but honestly, I kinda liked the dry van. It was my first time ever in a 53' trailer with axles forward, and it was cool getting to see a different side of the trucking industry.
    So I'm considering going OTR with dry van, but looking at the ads on Craigslist and Indeed, I see some companies promising $80k/yr or more for drivers with two years experience. They're starting you at over 50¢ per mile and promising over 3,000 miles per week. I always thought dry van was closer to 42¢ per mile and 2,500 miles per week.

Is that just for rookie drivers? Is that what mega carriers pay? Are there really high paying freight jobs out there for experienced drivers? How do you know if they're lying in the ad?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Dryvan is at the bottom of the food chain. Reefer pays a little better if you dont mind setting in docks for 5 hours and a lot of night driving.

Northern Nomad and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You already have this thread in another section.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  5. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    My bad. I didn't realize that was against the rules. Should I delete one? Maybe I should delete my whole account. How much trouble do you think I'm in with administration?

6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    big trouble!! :eek:

7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah, sounds good to me.

Lumper Humper and buddyd157 Thank this.
  8. Roguefox

Roguefox Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    .55 to .65 and probably 2500 to 3000 miles per week. I prefer the dry van as well, make as much or more than tanker and lots of drop and hook loads.

9. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    That's good to hear. I don't want to quit a good job just to end up finding out I've been hustled by a recruiter.

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    55 -65 cpm is a little above average. Not many reputable companies are paying that. I would say average for experienced drivers is somewhere in between 45 and 50 cpm. As for average miles, again 2500 - 3000 isn't the norm for a lot of drivers. That's more like 2200-2400 miles. There are drivers in every company killing it, but not that many. It also depends on your company too. What's the average length of haul for companies? If your cpm is on the high side, it's a pretty good indicator that miles arent huge miles. If it fits more in the average, then there's a chance you can see 2500 or better. It just depends on the company, their business practices, customer base and such. Most drivers ain't driving north of 2500 miles weekly. Finally, it depends on you. If you can prove that you can turn the miles, then companies will put them on you. There are some companies which you can turn 3000 plus and be home weekly. I met a guy in Edinburgh, TX. He runs to California and back weekly. Then takes his home time. However fast he can get there, drop off and get back determined his time at home. It just depends on the outfit you're going for.

nredfor88, gentleroger and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  11. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    That sounds more like what I was thinking. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.