Trucking Company Policies that stink!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Hemroid, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Hemroid

Hemroid Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Here's one for you. Do you work for a company who's bottom line is first before drivers health and well being?

I know of a recent experience where the trucking company told the driver their delivery time was at 0500. The driver was there 15 minutes before. After checking inside they found out the shippers receiving person did not even show up fo work until 0600 and that they didn't make appointments. At the same time there was a trucker from the same company who had showed up the night before with an appointment time at 0700.

The 0500 driver from the same company was the first to give his paperwork to the receiver and inquired about the other truck when the receiver told him that he had not even been approached by the other trucker who's appt. was at 0700. Then the other trucker finally woke up, went in about 0630 and then ended up being the first one to back in. Now I know 1st come 1st serve is a starndard procedure, but there were no other trucks that showed up, the two trucks were from the same co. and the last to back in had the 1st appt.

After the driver had confronted his fleet manager, they told him company policy was to get them there as early as possible so to get them out asap to be sure to be able to put another load on him. He told them that he had been to deliveries were no matter what time he got there, there was already 2 trucks before him and time was always affected even if he had not gotten there until the 0600 opening. Which by the way, this consignee had to move several of their own rigs and several things in the way of the ramp to even begin to receive shipments.

The companies excuse was also that if they told the trucker that the delivery times were 1st come 1st serve between say 0600 and 1300 that most truckers would wait till noon to show up and it cost the company money to have them have to wait for a load out!:biggrin_25510::biggrin_2559:

Lab work Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    This doesnt sound fair at all. But in my experience as a driver, its often about who the receiver knows, who they like, which products they want immediately, which ones they wish head office had never ordered etc. Its all a game, and then we show up. Often the bulldust has nothing to do with us, and we are just caught in the middle. Maybe our clothing reminded them of their highschool bully, or we parked our truck exactly where they dont want us to, but they wont tell us that outright... they will make our lives difficult until we figure this out on our own.
    Sometimes playing the trucking game without knowing the individual unwritten rules can be testing, but sometimes we manage to beat the game just by being ourselves. :biggrin_25525:

Lab work Thanks this.
  4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Don't get miffed over something that matters for nothing. Little things like this will eat at you if you let 'em. So what the other driver got in first? Only two trucks showed up anyway.

Take the ding and keep on keeping on. Mulling over this kind of crap will slowly destroy your morale. Don't let your job die because of ten thousand paper cuts.

"That other truck got in before me, and I had to wait an extra 30 minutes. I'm gonna quit, ######!"

Some guys will get pissed off and quit a job if the sky gets too cloudy.

Lab work Thanks this.
  5. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Good one Tip.
    Yes, yesterday I was called in to take up the slack from a driver whose trailer was almost full at a warehouse. I get there about an hour after him. Forklift drivers show up to help us almost at the same time. I send the first driver to my co-worker as he was there first, so they can start loading. I ended up being loaded and gone before my co-worker was even half loaded. Just the way the cookie crumbles...:biggrin_2556:

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The frustrating thing is, in most cases, the reason for the stupid rules is stupid people.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  7. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina

good point Mack !
    there are always that stupid few who screw it up for the rest of us.

:yes2557:

8. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
  9. wonderman

wonderman Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2006
    thats why i pull atank now...we always have an appointment and are paid from the moment we arrive till we leave ...wonderman

10. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007
    "It's our policy"

"There's no reason for it"

"It's just our policy"

Big Red

Never try and teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig

11. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    don't sweat the small stuff brother. it will get you high blood pressure and a heart attack

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.