Trucking Company Policies that stink!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Hemroid, Nov 7, 2007.

1. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018

Old post I know, but that is how it works. Its all a game in favor of the receiver/shipper. As mentioned, they often take trucks with commodities they need straightway even if they have a later appointment. Sometimes the dispatcher will tell them to make you wait if he/she does not like you. Persnally, if they tell me they don't have door for me at my appointment time and it may be some time, I go to get a coffee or back to the nearest truckstop and wait, then return when they call or I feel I have waited long enough. Thats your time, not theirs to keep you waiting and expect you to be at their beck and call for hours.

We once waited on the steet for 10 hours at Pepsi in Wichita to load; finally went 27 miles to a truckstop. When they called to get in the dock, I told them we would be right in; and 15 minutes later he asked if we were going to back in. I told him we were just turning around at the end of the street-still 20 miles out. So, I figured that we waited 10 hours past our appointment on them, they can wait on us and that was that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    In my game (regional steel haul), it actually pays well to show up as early as possible. Best of all is to sleep on customer's lot when able.

Shippers have appointment times, receivers are generally FCFS.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Why I like pulling bulk tank. I unload myself and a lot of times load myself. Either way, takes me about 15 minutes to load from the time I arrive to the time I’m leaving and about an hour to unload.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If that's your biggest complaint, consider yourself lucky. Maybe that other driver had been there a time or two and knew the drill? I know about 6 months into my career, I landed a dedicated run...same 5 stops in the Detroit area, and same 2 down by Dallas, running a turn and a half per week. By the 2nd week, I knew who to talk to and what to talk about...asking about their family, what their kids were up to that week, the latest action with their favorite sport or team...general BS type stuff. Not long after that, it didn't matter if I showed up and there were 20 trucks waiting for a dock, I'd be the next one in. Sure, those other drivers would get PO'd because I jumped the line entirely, but that was THEIR problem...I had a job to do, and when the people on the dock know you AND LIKE YOU, they'll do what they can to accomodate you.

Throwing a hissy fit and complaining about "well, I was here first" or "my fcfs appointment was before his" really won't get you anywhere in this industry...or in life. This life ain't always fair, so you've got to suck it up and learn how to tilt the table in your favor.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I used to take apples to Safeway in Atlanta NW Distribution now and then, these are Yakima WA apples back then. Really good ones too. It was for me a all day into the night from Little Rock to NW Atlanta via Birmingham which stretched the miles a touch on paper logs back then but no biggie.

Arrive at 10 PM, security lets me go in onto the property and spend the night next to the dock building. 6 am suns up, you put yourself together, have breakfast and whatever else. Go in by 7 Apple Lady is already demanding her Apples. WHAR R DEM APPLES!?

I don't care if I have to sit there two days prior. She will have her precious apples.

I DO care that I don't go into that place but once a week at most to get away from the Medicine Man and the routine associated with Memphis now and then.

It was for me the best of times.

If THAT is your biggest complaint going into a place with no appointments (Especially if they did tell YOU the driver THEY don't do trucks by Appt...) then I think you need some time off at home to decompress. You should be overJOYED that you were there EARLY and you have the time to do whatever you like until they opened.

Mornings are really important in most trucking. If you cannot or will not do it (Amd I am not even a morning person...) then you wont do well here.

I hate to be difficult. But remember YOU can call traffic or receiving of that company you were dispatched to while loading to really learn how they expect the delivery. You are from your company as a agent and mr or mrs so and so will tell you they do appts and here is yours or no appts, first come first served etc.

That way when your company dispatcher wants to tell you that you have a 0500 appt that no longer exists there, you tell him that you understand the trucking company's social structure to be sure that all drivers are there in the morning early, prior to opening if all possible and that you have their number on the head games played on the less mentally agile drivers in the fleet who need hands holding and told to be somewhere da da da etc.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Just in the past week, I've dealt with two cold storage facilities.

First, outside of St. Paul, arrived almost 6 hours ahead of load appointment. Was loaded and pulling out 4 hours before appointment

Second outside of Seattle was a 16:00 unload and 18:30 reload, same facility. I arrived at noon and was gone at 15:30.

In every case this happens, I go in fresh, showered, courteous, and professional. And when I'm leaving the window I go out of my way to express my and the carrier's appreciation for their flexibility and their business. They DO have other choices.

Some places are getting MUCH better about accommodating carriers and stringent HOS rules, and just being "good shippers" in general. If you're not finding them, you need to look harder.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You’d be surprised how quick you can get loaded and unloaded if you’d just take the time to turn into a bat, or a wolf, and back into human form in front of their eyes.

One lady was literally screaming “DOOR 7!!!!!!” as she was running and yelling for someone named “JASONNNNNNNNNNN!”.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    TB John Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Treat trucking policies and management like a woman...just agree and they will shut the #### up. Your opinion in moot.

10. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    It is a great opportunity to relax. With 90% drop and book I could care less how long it takes 2 load/unload. If I am at a loading dock it is either a 10 or 34 hour reset. Please take your time I get a break.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.