Trucking Costs Making Companies Suffer in Revenue

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Brucely, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Man this is kinda scary: Higher Trucking Costs Eat Into General Mills' Profit

So like, if companies are losing 10% revenue because trucking is now eating their profits cuz they have to pay truck drivers more and blah blah... does that mean we're screwed? A company isn't going to lie there and let their profits sink, they're going to push back... which is bad lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    If they want their products on the market they are gonna have to pay something in order to get the trucks they need

Justrucking2, KB3MMX and Brucely Thank this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Gunner, Not Necessarily ANYMORE- I'll tell you why.......

Businesses Will Resort Back to Having their own Fleets of Trucks (Like it was from the 1930's THRU the 1980's) Before an Exploded deregulated market.

Ive Been saying this for quite a few years Now Since at Least 2008 When The DOW Fell Apart Like in 1987.

If we (Trucking Companies) Continue to Pinch Their Profits, They Will Fight Back and Purchase Their Own Fleets,Hire their own Drivers, And Pay Quality Wages to them..And Shove it Right in the Face of Hundreds of Contract/common carriers Who Think, $4.00 Per Mile to Haul Frosted Flakes to St Louis is a Fair rate.

And When this Happens...........(Which I Hope it does) Will Filter Out Thousands of Motor Carriers

5. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    ...if they purchase their own fleets and hire their own drivers... won't they have to pay them the same??

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    NO

7. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    but then why would their drivers stand for that? They have to deal with the same things that we do... so then why would they be paid so much lower... i dont understand.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Its more than just a drivers salary- Overall Business model of transportation- Its Moree trhan just Paying a Driver- I see you know nothing about operations- And Im not going to explain it- Not being Rude- But its Far Beyond Just a Drivers Salary.

9. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    So it's because they'd be attracted to work for them because they have set routes and whatever and no dispatcher problems?

So management is basically just better, and it's less rocky. So that's why they'd agree to the lower pay.

Okay.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I would really love to hear you explain how a company can buy, maintain, and operate it's own fleet and pay salary and benefits to full time drivers for cheaper than it can contract out its transportation. I know a lot about operations, so I'd love to hear this.

nax, magoo68, Justrucking2 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    If this was the case, every major shipper in the country would already have private fleets exclusively. Walmart has a good private fleet but they still use tons of contractor work.

Fact is there is way more overhead expense to running a transport department sufficient to handle 100% demand than just employe pay, benefits and equipment.

The management overhead is a large part of it and often not a value to the company once it's all figured up... That's why contract carriers are much more popular.

It's like our federal govt... The bigger they get the more expensive they are to feed their expenses. BUT the govt just votes to take more money from you when they need it. Business can't do that.

Brucely and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.