Trucking Executive Steve Gordon Retires

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by BigRigFisher324, Jun 1, 2016.

1. BigRigFisher324

BigRigFisher324 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2013
    http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=42117

Trucking executive Steve Gordon, who was chief operating officer at Gordon Trucking, announced his retirement from the industry as of May 27. Heartland acquired Gordon late in 2013, creating a combination of companies that ranked No. 47 and No. 61 respectively at the time of the merger on Transport Topics' list of the top 100 largest for-hire carriers in the U.S. and Canada. “The time seems right as we move into the final stages of combining GTI and Heartland into one company 2 1/2 years after being acquired, having cleared many of the hurdles already to make that happen,” he said in an e-mail to colleagues. “Once it is truly all Heartland, the organization only needs one leader and that is [Heartland CEO] Mike Gerdin. I’m happy to have gotten to this point and feel confident about the future of the combined operations under the Heartland banner.” Gordon told TT he would remain connected to the trucking system through the family’s Freightliner dealerships, which are headed by his brother, Scott. “The trucking industry is a vibrant and dynamic industry. This is an industry inhabited with real people doing real work and proud of it,” Steve Gordon’s message said. "Trucking has been generous to our family through the years, and I will truly miss the outstanding men and women associated with it.”

CrappieJunkie and DustyRoad Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Big fish eat smaller fish....but then some tiny fish can out run even the big fish.

Poor management and tons of debt usually creates the severity at GTL to sell their assets.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Too bad he couldn't have sold it to the employees. In a year or two there won't be any former Gordon drivers with Heartland. Things are so messed up the Gordon people are leaving in droves. I'll be gone in another few months myself.

Stew209 and DustyRoad Thank this.
  5. DustyRoad

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Gordon Drivers are resisting assimilation into the Borg! ( Heartless Express)
    upload_2016-6-6_23-27-18.png

LindaPV and SteveScott Thank this.
  6. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    So i'm assuming I shouldn't go to gordon? I only like them because of the APU's.. but I don't think the miles are there.. and the pay isn't great either... (i'm from Las Vegas, NV)

7. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Gordon was a well run company and a joy to work for before they decided to sell the company.
    I was there 5 years until the sale.
    The company sold because Larry wanted to retire...
    Debt and management had nothing to do with the sale and anyone who says otherwise does not know the facts.

CrappieJunkie and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It all depends on where you live from what I hear. I get 3000 to 3200 miles a week working the 11 western states but I've heard that drivers who do mostly the southwest are sitting around a lot. If you're a new driver they'll start you at .31 a mile or .32 with hazmat. If you have at least a couple years under your belt they'll start you around .40. It still might be a good place to learn but things are changing fast. The apu units are nice though. I will hate giving them up.

9. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Gordon will no longer exist after July 17,2016

10. DustyRoad

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    I have a question for the experts, why then were the sons excluded from taking over the family business?

Adios Gordon Truck Lines, RIP.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  11. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Quite simple..
    They are rich and didn't want it.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.