Trucking gps question

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by SwitchingLanes, May 12, 2017.

1. SwitchingLanes

SwitchingLanes Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The ONLY atlas to get (IMHO) is the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Atlas. Which flavour depends on your preference and expected use. The laminated, coil bound version is the most versatile, but also largest, most expensive and most durable. You can draw on the pages with dry erase markers for route planning. Because I preplanned my trips before leaving and entered the routes into my GPS, I preferred the paper version for reference and backup purposes only.

As for GPS, I think you'll find equal testimonials for both R-M and Garmin. My preference was for Garmin because I feel they are better, more accurate, more detailed and navigation (ground, air and sea) is what Garmin has been doing for a very long time and does better than anyone else. IMO. I also did a lot of off-road driving and was amazed at the number of unnamed and unmarked roads, trails, lease roads, seismic lines, etc., that were on the Garmin.

YMMV

4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  5. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I have both mounted now and use both. I do that ha e a preference really. Rand giving you references for their Atlas is nice. Garmin new roads seem more up to date as of today, that could change tomorrow. Rand gives you more info on screen as well (miles to destination, turn, arrival time, current time,speed, speed limit, mm, direction, current city state) Garmin you get distance to turn, speed, speed limit, them one box where you decide if you want arrival time, distance, etc.

6. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Rand McNally for the paper map, no questions asked! That's all I've ever used and that's all my father ever used for 20 years.

As for a GPS, I ended up buying the smaller 5" screen Garmin about 3-4 years ago. It's never left me stranded; however I used to pre plan my routes prior to leaving. I ran Canada and plenty of Eastern seaboard US and like I said, I never had any issues with it.

Spend the money once on something good and it'll treat you well and make your life easier out on the big road.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Rand McNally is the map to buy. The one with all the size and weights and bridge heights in the front as well as restricted routes and tons more information. I prefer the paper book so I can make notes in it. I buy a new one maybe every 5 years.
    I like Garmin gps . You do not need to buy a fancy "truck" gps for several hundred more than a regular car gps. They claim to tell you about all the low bridges which is a load of crap. Use the map and plan your route. If you have to go a little more distance because that's the way the big roads go rather than save a few miles and go through towns go the extra miles every time until you are absolutely sure you can do it otherwise. Use Google maps for the last few miles from the big road to your destination. Compare it to which way your gps thinks you should go. Use your brain and read the road signs before you blindly follow a gps. If there are rail road crossings in the final miles use satellite view or street view to see the clearance. Don't be afraid to ask here which way we would go if you are in doubt.

8. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Bought a Garmin over 5 years ago...it's still going...with no problems yet

9. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    randmacnally atlas get the laminated coil one if you can spend the extra cash.

bought a Rand 720 gps 4.5 years ago when i started driving still got it still going strong. has always worked well if you use your head and dont follow it blind.

considering trying a garmin if they put out another new one to match Rand's 740.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.