Trucking in Canada and VHF radios

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Wallace, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Wallace

Wallace Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I drive in Canada weekly was wondering how useful a VHF rig would be there. I have a regular CB but not much chatter there, are the majority of the Canadian drivers using the marine VHF radios or other?

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Usually they are on 31.

4. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    depends on what parts of Canada you are in, Ontario runs 19 same as U.S. anything east of Montreal runs 1, I assume you speak English to be honest I dont know about western Canadian channels as I have never been out there, as for the vhf as far as I know it is only used on the logging roads in B.C. and Alberta

5. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    if you get west of kamloops it changes again--maybe to 21--not sure the rest is all 19 out west--not too many people on vhf that i know about--just what chain drive said--and if you go on ice as well--and way off road

6. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB
    I run western Canada all the time, and 19 is used by the older, whiter truckers. And no, that's not a racist comment. The new Canadians tend to run on 25, or something like that. The younger, whiter drivers are listening to their satellite radios, or talking on their phones. But, there's little to no chatter out that way anyways.

7. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    very true healthy---and it also gave me my smile for the day

8. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB
    Glad I could make ya smile, Canuck.

9. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    People just don't talk much on the radio in Canada, not as much as down in the US anyway, unless something needs to be said, there is not the same BS chatter on the radio

it was already said that the east coast runs on channel 1, I thought that west and south of Kamloops BC also ran on channel 1 if I remember

of course different ethnic groups run their own channels, the Quebecors run mostly on 12, Polish run on 29, east indians run on 7, most drivers running together have their own channels that they talk on, not on 19.

10. Fuddle Duck

Fuddle Duck Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Canada
    All we use is VHF where I live, no CB here for many years. The VHF still doubles as a radio phone where there are still towers.

11. jonboy29

jonboy29 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Home Sweet Home... SW Ont.
    Ya, years ago it was channel 1 from Kamloops to the beach, not sure if it still is?

All the CIBC and Royal bank telemarketers husband run on channel 29.
    thankyouverymuch!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.