Trucking in the 90's

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by KRAKAJACKJONSON, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Im sure some will disagree but as far as a safety viewpoint I'd say were no safer now than the 90s. Yeah you had guys popping pills but at least you could pull over and catch a cat nap without feeling pressured by the old e log clock ticking. Far more distractions out here today as well. It was definitely a different time back then but you can still enjoy it out here today. I just don't think I would want to be starting out today with one of these companies that makes you deal with all the corporate safety BS.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Heck no theres more bad truck accidents now then ever yea them elogs and slow trucks are really helping safety haha

Derailed Thanks this.
  4. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    At least back then if you wanted to pull over and take a nap you could and not have to worry about running out of hours

5. old time

old time Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I started in 1970 so I thought it was already screwed up in the 90's. Just goes to show how perspective changes things. Imagine some day people will be longing for these "good old days" Only thing I will admit is trucks got a lot more comfortable. I started with spring ride, no AC, no power steering etc. I'm retired now but I go on a trip now and then with a friend of mine. He has a 780 Volvo. That thing is quiet and smooth in spite of how ugly it is.

LloydToo and T_TRUCKER. Thank this.
  6. reefer101

reefer101 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I stil run paper logs. and drive 70. and tql only calls me once at 4 am to see where I am :biggrin_25525:

mp4694330 Thanks this.
  7. oneshyne

oneshyne Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Northern NJ
    I always wonder how trucking was between the 60-90's era. I don't believe it was anything near as the plastics/areodynamics they make now. I do know my grandpops that was trucking in the 50-90's era told me DOT would inspect your cabover to see if you had only white sheets on your bunk. If you didn't had white sheets, Theyll smoke you for it. He also told me back then lumpers use to only accept cash, no checks at all. I was surprised.

8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I miss the brotherhood of the 80s and 90s and the courtesy we had for each other .
    I saw first hand what pills did to my step father so I avoided dope .
    I don't miss the equipment or the casual expectation from dispatch to run 1000 miles a day .
    At 53 I'm still in good health getting 2 year cards while some of my brothers who laughed at me for useing commen sence are dead or can't pass a dot physical.
    So while there's alot I miss about the old days I don't miss the sleep deprivation.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    well said..

I turned 51 two months ago....I wish I knew back then what I know now..

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.