Trucking job vs.factory job ??

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by central mi., Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. central mi.

central mi. Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2007
    I have been a class "B" local driver for 15 years. The company I worked for was bought -out and was moved out-of state. Being a "dislocated worker" my state [Mich] is willing to pay for my school to upgrade to a class "A" license. I am supposed to start school in about a week. My son-in -law got a job last fall in a new plastic factory. They are currently hiring to add more shifts as GM is starting new production model in a few weeks. He said he can get me in there "NOW" . My stepson just got hired in there yesterday. The starting pay is only $9.50 to start ; with a $1 more and "FULL" benefit package at 90 days. Also the company is in the process of bringing in the union which will add at least $2 to $4 per hour to the wages depending on the new contract. I just turned 50 and never worked in a factory. I have always been driving "something" for a living the past 20 some years to make a living. Is it "TIME" to make a change or would you stick with driving?? What would you do ??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA

well let's see. in a factory you will be protected from the weather. you will also be paid time and a half or double time when that comes around. you will work "regualr hours" each week. you can enjoy your weekends, you can make doctor appointments, you can eat,sleep, watch tv all at a regular time. you probably will be somewhat "rushed" for things to get done at the factory at times. you might get christmas parties, birthday parties, comapny sponsored events like a family BBQ, then maybe get to see the July 4th fireworks display.

now, a driver's job. you'll not be protected by the weather. you will not be paid time and a half or double time. you WILL NOT work REGUALR HOURS. you may not get weekends home, or days home. heck, you might be a thousand miles away from home. you cannot make doctor appointments that easily. you cannot eat, sleep, wwatch tv, or even go to the bathroom at regular times. you won't be seeing any christmas parties at your terminal, cuz you'll be trying to get home instead for the one stinking holiday MOST companies TRY to get you home, but they absolutely don't promise that. you will always be rushed, thanks to traffic, 4 wheelers, construction jams. the only july 4th fireworks display you MAY ever get to see is the ones in which the cops are shooting at a 4 wheeler that just robbed a bank................

i'm 50 too, but i now work as a yardman. i wish i had an "inside job", with a more regular schedule than what i have now.............

4. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Tough decision you have there.. Well I did the math one day and figured out the hours a driver actually puts in would equal a $9.5 -14 an hour job with overtime... Trucking industry is definitely not getting better but getting worse. Factory jobs specially factory jobs that are automotive tied have their ups and down as in job security... Man I just don't know what to advise you on. Guess it would all depend what trucking company you get hooked up with if I would go that rout

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    In another thread a poster was talking about a plastic plant going South. This is a hard call to make. Pro made some valid points. I see factories all the time hiring at a low rate compared to what they used to be. I now work in a small factory type job. I am in charge of maintenance. The thing I like is that I have the freedom to move around in the plant. I don't feel chained to a machine plus I am paid quite well to do this. I have worked both ends, trucking and now this. I would have to say I like the normal life. I got the driving out of my system. I like the 7-3, M-F even though I often work late due to my job, but I can lead a normal life now. Good luck, let us know which one you decide on.:smt023

6. central mi.

Feb 17, 2007
    Ya ; this decision is just eating me up!! I am so upset about it I am not sleeping ; am cranky and depressed !! I don't know what direction to go ; thats why I am asking you guys what you think. I know it will be hard for me be to be gone away from home for more than a few days at a time as I have never had to. The company I was thinking of going with when I got out of school has you out with a trainer M-F with weekends off. They are a flatbed co. about an hour from my home. They told me they don't run week-ends so I would have every week-end off. But how many times have companies told all of you that same thing ; only to find out they lied to you. My 1 year old grand-daughter is sitting on my lap as I am typing this while my other 1 year old grand-daughter as asleep 10 feet away on the couch. It just tears me up inside that I would have to give these moments up. THATS whats making this so hard !!!

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I would get a piece of paper and write down all the pros and cons. When you see it on paper maybe it will be easier to make the choice. Even the things like your grandchild on your lap. All the little things add up. Hope this helps.:smt023

8. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    I hear you and totally understand your feelings. Have you done much research in day cab type of work? You would be home every night with a job like that. That would be something to look into if your not wanting to work in a factory. I wish I could give you some good advise but I don't have any for your situation... If I was going to tell you anything it would be, "do what will make you feel happy" money is not everything...

9. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I second what Truckerjo said here....

Yes it does take money to pay the bills that's for sure especially with the HIGH cost of everthing.

But, you can't give up your happiness either...That's what makes a person survive in such a hectic world is a good happy attitude.

YOU got to what you are comfortable with.

My husband could never do anything but drive a big ole truck and that's what he's happy doing and loves.
    It's a good thing too..I can't imagine driving the years that he has driven so far and NOT being happy doing it.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    You need to also look at what the factory job is going to be like. Are you going to be on a forklift? Or would you be spending all day on your feet on the concrete? I ask this because this can really break your feet and back down over time.

At the same time, you are already saying you don't like the idea of being away from home. If that is already bothering you, there is a good chance it is going to continue to bother you out on the road. If it is bothering you out on the road, it is only going to make the job that much harder.

As advised above, weigh out the pros and cons of each.

As for the driving option, keep your eyes out for local/regional/dedicated jobs. You might not be able to land one immediately, but it might be an option for you 6 months to a year down the road.

11. central mi.

Feb 17, 2007
    Thanks to all of you that have already responded !!! I have been looking for another class "B" job for the last 3 months. I have not even been able to find 1 to even apply for for the past 4 weeks. There are a few local jobs for class "A" positions ; but they all want at least 1 to 2 years OTR experience. I am supposed to start school on 3-12 and only have 2 months UN-enjoyment left. I keep hoping that some miracle will pop up ; but it hasn't happened. I would bet there are thousands of people that would love to have their training paid for by someone else ; so they wouldn't have to be under contract to anyone. I am just not sure that is what is right for me personally. I guess that I could go ahead with the training as its only for 3 weeks long and apply for the factory position and hope "NOT" to get hired until I get out of school. I just know 2 to 3 weeks on the road and only get home for 2 to 3 days is not my cup of tea. I do have a forklift license and my son-in law said all the jobs at this factory are very easy. He said that there a lot of people working there that are a lot older than me. I know Monday he is going to talk to HR about seeing if I could get a job in material handling as I have a lot of shipping and recieving experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.