trucking jobs for those under 21

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by lalalaheidi, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Look into the local soda or beer distributors,...You might have to start out working nights loading trucks,.....But most of those type companies hire from within,...It can be a good way to start out,....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steve1988

steve1988 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2009
    bradford, pa
    I got my start doing oilfield work at the age of 18...where there was a lot of physical labor involved. Not many places will put a young person in a t/t and you will probably have to start out in a straight truck, but if you get in with a co that has both kinds of trucks, and you have your class A thats a big plus. Try applying for driver/laborer positions. Some suggestions would be halliburton, and other related companies that do that nature of work. I wish you luck cause it's really hard to find a job unless your family has a trucking company...I understand where your coming from though

4. jim-oh

jim-oh Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Toledo,oh
    I agree with about the grain. After I got my cdl I went to a big time local crop farmer who also ran six trucks and had 13 employees that offered medical insurance. They were willing to let me learn how to drive but also had to work the farm and work on everything that makes a farm run. Very good experience that was a great stepping stone. Alot of the grain hauling was in state which would allow someone under 21 to gain experience.

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You don't need a CDL for the companies that will hire you young. Save your money goto college or a trade school. The truth is the industry is not a get rich quick place of employment. A lot of the companies are paying less now than they were 5 years ago. Thank you Obama...

6. PinkPedal

PinkPedal Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    As someone mentioned, the oil industry may be an option for younger people wanting experience, but it's usually not OTR and it's physically demanding.

Halliburton is a company that actually will help get your CDL if you don't have one (get your permit, they train you and pay up to 700 to get your CDL...I know not much). Entry level operator assistant for cementing, frac acid. There are openings right now all over the world.

If you HAVE a CDL with HazMat, that's a HUGE plus for you.

I applied to Hburton and got offered a job right away, but got another offer that was better. :biggrin_255:

It may not be the best job, but if you want a foot in the door and experience, it will pay off. I won't kid you....you WILL work your effin' arse off with Halliburton, with some L-O-N-G days (18 hours at times), but your looking at about 65,000K a year which isn't bad for a 20 year old.

7. QCM TRUCKER

QCM TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Woodlawn, TN
    I'm 19 and about to start Driving for a scrap yard in TN, They are teaching me to drive, and when I get done training with them I'm going to start hauling to Nashville.

8. john925

john925 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    im in Kentucky right by the Tennessee border and im looking for any kind of trucking job until i turn 21 in october but im not finding anything. do you know of anything or know anybody who does?

9. icecubetrucker

icecubetrucker Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2011
    greenville, nc
    would it be possible to hiring on to a company hauling containers rite after turning 21? me and a friend were looking into getting a freightliner condo and running teams doing containers.

10. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

I will bring up a couple of things worth considering.

Container work in most cases is not exceptionally profitable. In other words it won't make a living for two. The runs are shorter and will not support a team operation.

The next problem is that no company will lease on a truck owned by a driver/s with little or no experience.

11. icecubetrucker

icecubetrucker Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2011
    greenville, nc
    Ok that makes perfect sense. Thank you much

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.