Trucking on a working holiday visa

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by matej555, May 6, 2018.

  1. matej555

    matej555 Bobtail Member

    May 6, 2018
    Hello, I'm a Canadian truck driver with 6 years of flat deck experience and a couple years of picker crane as well. I'd love to do some trucking in Australia and am considering getting a working holiday visa. The ideal situation would be to find something in the bush working in rotations with a few weeks on and one week off.
    Does anyone know if I could make this happen without too much difficulty?
  2. aussiejosh

    aussiejosh Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    As long as your in the right age group to qualify for the working holiday visa think its 19 - 32 age group, however best to get on the Australian immigration website under the visa's section to check it out, as regards getting work your visa will be restricted to part time or casual don't think you can get a permanent full time job under the arrangement that being said there are lots of seasonal jobs like the grain harvest, sugar cane harvest , fruit picking, also if you choose to live in one of the larger capital cities such as Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney you could also register with a recruitment agency they are great for getting part time truck driving work, put you name down to do "change over " driving which is great you drive the truck half way then either swap trucks or trailers then return back home always home every day the pays around 50 c per km for B-Doubles and a tad less for singles. You main hurdle with be getting the dough to pay for the air-fare and for truck driving lessons which are usually based on an hourly fee, so if your a fast learner it won't be so expensive, unlike the huge fees some of the driving schools charge over in the USA you'll find this rather inexpensive.
  3. Mugins

    Mugins Bobtail Member

    Aug 4, 2017
    Shame we can't do a swap ,I am in NZ and wanting to do a stint in Canada but boy do they make it hard for you. If you look at the roadtrain jobs in the west they often offer 5 on 1 off (weeks) with fly in fly out options ,wouldn't know about visa help though, as l can work over there no worries . Mike
  • Draft saved Draft deleted