Trucking out of Florida

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kstrong86, May 20, 2017.

1. Kstrong86

Kstrong86 Medium Load Member

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Hello everyone. Could really use some help. Just a little background. I recently just got of Active Duty Army after about 9 years and then joined the Reserves. I really like serving my country but the Active Duty lifestyle was getting a little ridiculous. But i wanted to join the Reserves to keep those medical benefits and still serve my country on occasions. With that being said I have weekend drill once a month. My question for all you Truck Veterans out there is finding a good company that will get me home weekly. I recently was at another trucking company and after a month of OTR and not being able to make it home on time and making me want to drive after I expressed that I was very tired after driving for 8 hours. They simply didn't care for my safety and getting me home. I know Florida is very hard for the Trucking Industry and have accepted that. My question to you guys is what is a good company that pays decent and will get me home weekly. I'm not looking for a weekend home time. Just as long as I am home weekly. I know I only have one month of driving experience and will probably have to go out with a trainer for weeks at a time. If it helps I'm out of the Lakeland, FL area. I do know of Werner which is an option for me. They were my first choice but I switched at the last minute. Knight Transportation is here too but something doesn't sit right with me with them. Are there any other companies I should take a look into. I am considering teams and flat bedding as well. I'm pretty good at driving the truck since that is what I did in the Military and the previous company before I had no problems. Just looking for a decent company that cares for their drivers and will get me home for drill time. Equipment would be nice too. The truck I had before was a piece of crap, stunk and old and just didn't make me feel comfortable on the road being away from home. It was hard to make it a home away from home lol. I really appreciate any feedback and helpful tips. I have applied to Averitt and U.S. Express as well. Also if you guys know of any Trucking companies that will hire you as a dock worker then go drive for a little bit, sort of like a Driver Apprentice Program that would be great too. All help and is greatly appreciated and if you think I would be interested in your company right now please advise on how to contact you or them directly so we can start the process. I'm sure you will get some kind of referral bonus. LOL If it helps I have Class A license with Tanker, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Passenger and TWIC if that helps any. Take care and god bless you all and be safe on them roads.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Reason for edit: Forgot to add credentials.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    R&L has a terminal on Hwy 33 North of I-4 just before Polk City.

I had a friend that worked there for 15+ years and liked it a lot. He was home a lot. They have great bennifits, including many time share condos for employees to use. One of them is beach front in Daytona.

Being in Lakeland I would definitely check into them.

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress...

Lastly, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.! :salute:

4. Kstrong86

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    But will they take me with the little experience that I have? If so I will definitely check them out.

5. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Well first thank you for your service, @Florida Playboy I'm sure he would point you into the right direction.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  6. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Cypress and Sunbelt transport... Flatbed or dump work southeast regional

7. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    I have no idea what their requirements are. I know they have trainers...

Aradrox has a good point, dump truck drivers are usually home every night. Also Lowe's, home depot and similar places are day jobs.

Concrete delivery too...

Rooms to go has a big store/warehouse/terminal on I-4 at exit 10. I'm sure they are home every night. They drive day cabs with little short trailers.

If your interested... I happen to know a guy with a "spare" 2013 dually and a 3 car wedge. He is actively looking for a hard working, careful, honest driver..Mostly local work, home most nights.. If your interested send me a private message.

8. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Might go to terminal and speak with Manager at R&L. I did this up here and Mich and he said they would start with linehaul and work into the P&D when an opening comes.

9. Kstrong86

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you I am applying to them right now. As far as dump truck driver, they all want that 1 year experience. lol

10. Kstrong86

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you so much for the advice. I did check out Rooms to Go but no driver jobs. Same for Lowe's and Home Depot.

11. Kstrong86

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    HaulinCars it wont let me start a conversation with you I guess I'm too new to this site lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.