Trucking school or waste of money

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Bigred0623, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Bigred0623

Bigred0623 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I'm currently enrolled at Truck Driving School in Illinois and this truck driving school has a contract with the DMV and they train us out of the book and they want us to say word for word out of the book that they made and I'm having difficulty saying that word for word, in my instructor from the school will not pass me because of my wording and that's holding me back to accomplish my goals updating my CDL so what I'm thinking about doing is I feel confident with my air brake test and everything is going to the DMV and around the truck and seeing if I pass.what do you guys suggest

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    How long have you been in this school? Mine was 8 weeks long 5 days a week 4 hours a day. It took me about 5 weeks to get the wording correct. The school is only meant to teach you how to pass the test, that's all.

In my opinion it's to your advantage to stay in the school and keep studying. Your options will be far greater than if you leave wasting the money and then trying your luck at the DMV flying solo

TequilaSunrise and Bigred0623 Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Just learn it, the school teaches just enough so you can pass the test.
    Then your company will put you with a trainer to teach you the rest.

Bigred0623 Thanks this.
  5. Bigred0623

Feb 9, 2017
    I'm confident about all my air break tests, in the front lights of the tractor in the rear lights of the trailer and My air houses, and my front mechanical suspension but not really the air suspension parts and then rear tandems of the trailer, I also heard they're tough on truck drivers try to get the license from truck driving schools and if you just go to DMV yourself

6. Bigred0623

Feb 9, 2017

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Illinois is the worst state in the nation for passing the pre-trip inspection. They flunk you for silly things such as saying "guage" instead of "indicater", etc. That state's corrupt and full of incompetent people working at the DMV and all other government jobs.
    All you can do is keep practicing or move to another state that uses common sense. Do you have friends or relatives in other states to use their address and attend school there?

Kyle G., DoubleO7 and Bigred0623 Thank this.
  8. Bigred0623

Feb 9, 2017
    My school is Monday through Saturday,not a set schedule so pretty much they gave me a packet, and my instructor just reads the packet everyday, and doesn't necessarily explain anything just reads to pack it everyday,twice a day

9. Bigred0623

Feb 9, 2017
    Thank you, for seeing that nobody gets that about Illinois and it's really tough on me right now because I'm trying my hardest and I'm confident I've watched countless videos on YouTube and a lot of the people on there are saying push the trailer emergency spring break,and have passed, but my instructor wants released and this just all the little stuff you know what I mean, Florida,thats about it

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Florida is the easiest state to pass the DMV for your cdl.
    Which part of Florida?

Bigred0623 Thanks this.
  11. Bigred0623

Feb 9, 2017
    Tampa,i also have a buddy around orlando,where did you get your cdl at?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.