Trucking Sector Recession Officially Here...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Scooter Jones, Jul 12, 2019.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Not an O/O.
    I work for a medium-size fleet.
    Food-grade tanker, as many of you already know.

Nearly every factory I deliver to has construction going on to expand the plant.

One place said they were building a new production line. Their requirements for a particular raw material will increase from three loads a week, to three loads a DAY, when the line is finished.

Our competitors' terminals are on either side of us. We all have hiring signs out, and trucks sitting awaiting drivers.

If the sky is falling, I don't see it from MY seat.

I'm just out here trying to run as much as possible and bank as much as possible, for when the rug gets pulled out from under our sector in December. (We slow down before retail does, but we seem to ramp back up quicker.)

Interesting thread. Thanks all.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Most of us layman arent aware the flexibility that CFOs have to make a set of quarterly SEC filings that paint the picture they want painted. If their personal bonuses are tied to wall street ratings or stock prices, they will steer the company to borrow money and repurchase their own shares, thus driving up the stock price to a level that triggers their bonus payout. There are so many ways to pad the statements that there is a disconnect between reality and reported earnings, revenue, expense etc etc. So basically dont put too much faith in the hype. Your own observations are just as viable.

When the house next to you is selling for a price that makes you consider buying it, youve got a recession. Until then...

Dino soar and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    is America getting great ? I don't think so. Trump stop it please...

no loads are coming out from LA to Midwest. best you can get is $1.50. 35k lb , 2250 miles from LA to Detroit is paying $3000...

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Detroit to LA has been getting moved for $3000-3500 for a long time

6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I booked LA to Evansville for $3200. the backhaul is going to be around $2800-3000..

7. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    You must be new to the game, last year was an anomaly freight out of California has always sucked unless it’s produce or coming out of the ports. California has always been like Florida, you better get a good rate going in.

Cummins_444, starmac and rollin coal Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    What can be realistically expected more often than not on 2,000 mile cross country hauls pulling a 53 box? $1.50 sounds generous considering the competition is railroads and every recent startup that loves booking long hauls.

86scotty and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Then why are you running in that lane if the rates are so low? You're in SoCal and you could be running more short loads within the state or up the west coast for much more per mile than what you're getting running across country. I rarely leave the west coast and never run a load for under $2.80 a mile. Don't blame the government because you can't find better paying loads.

10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I will not vote for Trump next year. When idiot busch was the king and when gallon of fuel was $5
    yes men I am new in trucking ;-) . my mc# starts with 51xxxx . never had this kind of low outbound rates in this season . Inbound rates are low too.

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I hate running in California... from here to TX, LA pays pennies, NV or AZ lanes are same ####. only WA or OR pays ok but again I hate going there..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.