Trucking takes years off your life.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Tank33, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

Ding....Ding...Ding......

Post of the Day!!!!!
    :biggrin_25514:

Civilservant Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bbqguy

bbqguy Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    East Wenatchee, WA
    <blushing> Thanks.

4. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    wait a minute, that kinda sounds like personal responsibility. Didn't they pass a law against that?:biggrin_2554:

5. sillymom2three

sillymom2three Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2010
    TN
    My hubby is healthy of horse. He has work out stuff on his truck. He tries to eat well, he doesn't eat enough, and I been making him eat more sinceI am on the truck LOL. I on the other hand have 2 handfuls of health issues though I was a server in bars for years...so who knows, personally I blame on it being a mom, and a wife to a trucker LOL JK

6. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Why...is a very important question that many don't ask...if trucking takes 10-15 years off your life...than why??

Some possible reasons...

1. lack of excercise?
    2. Lack of good rest or sleep?
    Although seems to me other than renagade truckers, most large company fleet truckers get plenty of rest...I mean all I see is them sleeping in their trucks, infact I think some come out here just to sleep...

3. Depression? which could lead to suicide?
    4. Unhealthy eating options at truck stops?
    5. Fatal accidents?

I mean there's a reason behind everything...

6. Being along for long periods of time..for instance...they also say single people die before people in relationships...could the lack of touch or human contact contribute to this phenominon??

7. Breathing in all the carbon monoxide from truck and car fumes all day long?
    8. Fermaldihyde foam particals?

9. Falling alseep while driving?

Driving a truck in and of it'self doesn't shorten ones life, but maybe rather certain habits people fall into do...

Also whens the last time this studies been done?

Maybe this study was done back when drivers did drugs and took all night 'upper' pills to stay awake which made them more prone to heart attacks...

If the same study was done today, with current modern trucking...i wonder what the results would be...

7. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

500 pound morons choking to death on Pilot hot dogs and Fritos!

FriedTater and old-school Thank this.
  8. ghostchild

Jan 16, 2009
    :biggrin_2555:

Easy there tiger...

[​IMG]

Here, have a hot dog...their good...

9. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    Just my 2c worth here, responding to ghostchild's earlier post.
    I wonder if it all comes down to self discipline.
    You are driving 14 hours a day and lets say you sleep for 7. That gives you 3 hours free time, and maybe its the way you use those 3 hours that makes the difference.

If you get out of the truck and exercise, you get fresh air and get those joints moving so circulation is restored.
    Or you can just sit there, and do nothing.

You can either eat as healthily as anyone at home or you can go with the fast food options. Even if your truck has no microwave you can still have fresh fruit and veg every day, and run a crockpot. And watch out for additives in prepared food, America's biggest enemy is high fructose corn syrup, its banned everywhere else. Even shopping for groceries just once a week would be enough to make good healthy meals every day.

I reckon the depression/loneliness issue is the most difficult to deal with. But that is not specific to trucking, I guess there must be folk working in agriculture, and also maybe writers, etc who work alone. I remember as a new mom with hubby away I was at home with the baby and could easily go a month or two at a time without talking to another person. Don't get much intelligent conversation out of a two week old baby, now that is lonely.
    But we didn't have internet or cellphones then. Communication is far easier now, and although its not the same as being at home with family its goes a long way to help.

10. ghostchild

Jan 16, 2009
    Home, alone, for 1-2 months at a time without company? wow...

Yes, I guess that's how it use to be done...before cell phones and internet and other 'social media' sites...

The cell phone phenomina really didn't hit heavy and hard until around 2000...then it was 'calling cards'...I remember when everyone had to have a calling card...cutting edge at the time...
    Or even 'beepers'....wow...does anyone still use beepers...

[​IMG]

Someone would call your pager or beeper...and then you would have to find a payphone to call that number...I guess with a calling card or quarters...

Or how about life on the road before direct deposit?
    I guess the wife would be happy as the checks would always go to the house...she would get first dibs...

Or what about before atm machines?

I mean how did a driver get more money if he ran out 1500 miles away from his bank?

Compared to back then, current drivers have it very smooth...
    in some ways..

11. sailalibi

sailalibi Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2010
    annapolis,md
    This is a good thread! very thought provoking...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.