Trucking takes years off your life.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Tank33, Mar 6, 2010.

1. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Trucks didn't always have the clean emmissions they have now. It hasn't been that long ago that every truck on the road blew lots of smoke while enroute. According to medical experts the carnicigens from diesel smoke are among some of the deadliest. Truckers sitting up much higher than cars, were constantly bombarded with it..could it have been a health factor? I personally have seen many drivers die from cancer..seems like at a higher rate than other professions to me. Large numbers of heart attacks among drivers too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Great conversation here and FWIW and IMHO- for all of us it is two things: 1. Your genetics and 2. Your environment.

We have no choice in what genes we were born with there fore what we do with or in our environment really does play into your controlling or not controlling your health.

Probably the number 1 killer-smoking-yup hands down! I quit cold turkey 6 years ago hardest and best thing I ever did. Smoking affects EVERY SYSTEM OF YOUR BODY as you inhale the chemicals into your lungs which are immediately absorbed into your blood stream and go everywhere. My doctor said if that was the only thing I ever did positive for my health then that was fine

Next on the list IMHO: diet and exercise--yes yes yes it really does matter. The salt that Americans consume in their diet on average if you are not watching I would guess is 5000-7000mg-the American Heart Assoc. now recommends 1200-1700mg DOWN from 2000mg! Just for your information: one can of Campbells condensed chicken noodle soup 12oz kind you add water too has 2250MG of Sodium---who here can't eat a can of soup??? Salt causes you to retain fluid/water and that increases the work load of the heard and increases your BP-over time the heart is weakened and the blood vessels are weakened. Problem is salt is everywhere-if you watch the fat or sugar in food they add more salt to make it taste better-canned foods, prepared foods fast food. So the solution-go back to cooking yes cooking with fresh ingredients use that crock pot add fresh stuff or NO salt canned items.
    Exercise: Okay our bodies are meant to MOVE and the old saying, '' if you don't use it you will lose it,'' is true! Walk walk walk it's easy and very low stress on joints-park futher away at the T/S- get out when you are at a dock and walk. Even a few minutes several times a day will add up! Do simple exercises sit ups push ups lift small weights.
    Okay and before you all say ''hey we are on the road all the time!'' I get that. I know you are tired and just want to eat and crash I get that but spending a few minutes extra in your day to prepare that fresh meal in the morning and parking a bit futher away will add up over the years.

It has taken me years to ''learn'' this and I am still learning this and will for the rest of what ever life I have-could be one week could be 40 years who knows when my time will be up? I am a nurse and you would think that as a health care professional i would walk the walk but I am telling you-nurses abuse their bodies pretty much same as drivers (swing shifts understaffed etc) grabbing food on the run, smoking and not exercising. So I get it.
    Just my opinion.

4. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    I'll acknowledge the risks associated with the profession. Unless you work as a holiday bellringer at a retail store, it's difficult to compile a list of jobs where the environment is considered healthy for the body.

I really don't care about living forever (right now), but as long as this profession makes me happy (whenever I find a company to call "home") then I'll keep driving as long as I'm healthy enough to keep at it.

Word.

5. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    Unless you are diabetic with foot issues, or have tennis elbow... Just sayin...

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    My Dad was a driver all his adult life, lived to 84. So I don't by it. Your personal choices about the wennie makes a bigger difference

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  7. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Did you get this from what I said earlier?

About drivers breathing in Carbon monoxide all day and all night long??

I was at a Flying J truck stop once on a breezeless muggy fall night...60% of the trucks were idoling...and you could see a thick blue, greyish haze or film of smoke, smog, pollution...lingering over and in the truck parking area...(parking lot lamps made it possible to see the haze)

This cloud of toxic gas or smog or carbon just hung there, cause there was no breeze...and all these drivers were breathing it all in...yuk...

That's why I suggested earlier that when I'm out on the road...I always wake up feeling 'groggy'...and I think that may be the cause...cause when you breath in carbon...it effects your lungs ability to process oxygen...

What do ya think??

8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    about the wennie?

9. ky wildcat 4ever

ky wildcat 4ever Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Somerset KY
    Best thing anyone can do is give up the sodas .I did 5 months ago and have lost 30 lbs just by giving up sodas drink water with everthing now

10. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    There was a thread here maybe six months ago, started by a guy doing research into this, I think in London England.
    I'll try to find the link but maybe someone else can find it quicker?

Civilservant Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.