Trucks and Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by SIRC, Feb 25, 2019.

1. SIRC

SIRC Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019
    I ride in a club that can have anywhere from 2 to 30 members out on a ride. We know the dangers of riding next to trucks with their large blind spots, and try to pass quickly if we have to.

Do truck drivers have any advice on how we can share the road better? Is there a way that we can signal to you that the last bike has passed and there is no one else in your blind spot?

Thanks.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Try to pass only when there's enough room that you all can pass at once.

When you are passing, speed up! If you pick up your speed while you're passing all of you will pass through sooner.

If you want to pass through together there's no need to let him know that no one is in his blind spot because he'll see you all passed as a cluster.

Ride on.

G13Tomcat, TripleSix and disoba Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Whatever you do don’t lane split.......

G13Tomcat, stwik, MACK E-6 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. C-WALSH

C-WALSH Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Always be in view of the mirrors of vehicles in front of you. If you can see the mirror/s, we “should” be able to see you. Keep you eyes on the tractor; It’s the head on the snake that gives its intentions away.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Always pass on the left. Even if you are pissed off at the slow moving truck ahead you in the middle lane, don't try to do a quick pass on the right.

G13Tomcat, stwik and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Just get moving by. Don't dawdle. If I had to shake and move that rig... I don't want any of you in there.

Ive taken groups of up to 30 down 95 at times essentially what they did was two by two, get by and set up in front. I am the one who broke up the traffic and made them flow by on the right and left for a while. Makes it easier for them to get down DC way.

There have been times my life stood along with the other incoming trucker to be lost if the air did not work the way it did when we nearly hit offset. We missed each other by nothing. I had drifted across on US 15 sleeping and woke up when the oncoming rig had his running lights too far over on the cabover view. That made it possible to wake up in a hurry and fix the problem. The pass took a lifetime. He was not too thrilled about it but eh. It's all good.

8. SIRC

SIRC Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Thanks for all the response. I should have been a little more clear. My question was more intended for an example on a two or three lane highway. For obvious reasons, we do not like to even pass cars on the opposite side of the road, even when legal to do so.

9. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    There is no
    There is no blind spot if your passing correctly in the left lane. We see you and respect you. DO NOT RIDE THE ZIPPER.

alds Thanks this.
  10. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    No clue why but motorcycles will pass me and merge probably 15ft from my bumper and just sit there... My best advice and this goes for cars too is to just get the hell away from me as fast as possible lol

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Just being nosy...

What club do you ride with and are you the road captain?

One of the most aggravating things about motorcycle groups is when they ride on the highway like a slinky...expand contract expand contract.

If you guys are wearing patches, I would hope that your road captain has the club riding in tight formation. Every rider should be familiar with the hand signals and pass them back. Going to pass a truck? Pass left side only. And be sure to get the whole group by him before going back right. That will prevent club members from cutting too close in front of the rig as they go back right.

The MC should move like 1 large vehicle, not a bunch of individual bikes. And it shows strength and unity.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.