Truckstop Scams? Lets post our stories.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by truckbuddha, Feb 27, 2016.

1. truckbuddha

truckbuddha Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Well lets also consider the hour of labor cost to install it, another $120 plus the part.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Sort or a scam, but I've been approached by cargo thieves in Florida asking me how to pay for a CAT scale ticket, while on scale. This was at a flying J North of Tampa.

There are two of them, one chats you up, the other goes to the back of your trailer to check your seal and try to figure out if your cargo is something that can be moved. I managed to pull off the scale before he could close my vent door.

And I've ran into several of the others mentioned.

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Has anyone ever nabbed a good deal on the road?
    I hear guys selling their "$500" GPS units for $300 all the time on the CB.

I once witnessed a guy sell his old iPhone for $40 over the CB at the J in Warrenton, MO. Probably an older guy that didn't know used cell phones are worth much more than that.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    And probably just one?

I had an idea once for a device that could save fuel. It was an adaptation of the stratified charge concept that Honda implemented in the mid '80 CRX, and even before.
    It was a device that would convert any 'normal' engine of that time to use that advantage with very little modification.

The sad thing is, Toyota already had a patent for the same thing.
    Even sadder, that idea is still sitting unused.

That CRX got over 50MPG on the highway.
    With a carb - not even fuel injection.
    And that was back in the mid 80's!
    Power was not lacking either.

The biggest scam might be the automobile industry in regards to real fuel economy.
    That technology has been around for a long time, but it is not even used today.

CrappieJunkie and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Years ago in San Antonio I got a deal on a Rand/Mcnally truckers atlas, the current year, laminated, the real deal. I'm sure it was stolen, but the guy only charged $10 right out the case. He had several left in the case and a lot of inquiries coming in on the radio.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    One of the guys I drive with scooped up a RM TND tablet for $200 when they first came out. Said guy selling them had a whole box.... Needless to say but I was pretty Jealous. I've fallen for the $20 fake chain... Wore it until it was completely tarnished a few months later. I did score a big bottle of Imitation RL Blue Cologne at a Flying J in Alabama for $5.... Can't even beat that online

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. truckbuddha

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Usually that's a summer time thing, with a pair of nice looking young girls working the trkstop parking lot with boxes of knock off cologne.

I have to say, lucky for me when I was a teenager I fell for the fake jewelry scam with a fake price tag still on it. So since then, I just tell myself when some one tries that on me, if its so valuable, why haven't they sold it at a pawn shop or cash for gold store?

I did fall once for some guy in a Flying J parking lot selling cheap plastic 35mm cameras, I later figured out, that he stole off the shelf from the store. But that was a long while ago. And I thought it would be cool to have a 35mm camera, but it again was just another wasted thing I never ended up using anyway.

LumbraX Thanks this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Best deal I ever got was on the Navy ... went ashore in Brindisi, Italy. Got hit up by a hey joe wanting to sell a watch. He wanted $20, got him down to $5 and a pack of cigarettes.

Get to a restaurant. I was with a shipmate, we go in and there is bunch of other sailors there. The waiters are hitting up the sailors asking to buy their lighters. One asks me if my watch is for sale ... I say sure, $40. I sold it to the waiter for $25 ... covered the dinner and drinks for me and my friend and put $10 in my pocket.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Gotta love all the low dealings, both with the 'criminals' and the 'buyers'.

It is the same thing, by the way.

11. truckbuddha

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I would say low dealings is all over the t.v. pawn programs, junk collectors calling themselves Pickers. Storage containers, and more.

I know myself I wouldn't buy anything that I believe is stolen, just on principle. But then there are people desperate to sell whatever they can get, just to get a buck.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get a good deal, or a real bargain.

I think the above watch story is kinda funny. While reading it I was thinking it was going to turn out to be a real Rolex or something valuable. But still to Flip it for a few dollars more to some one who thought they were getting a real bargain, is just plan funny.

Real Estate comes to mind when I thought of the word, "Flipping". Buy low, sell high, screw who ever you can, just to get a buck!

Yep, that's life!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.