Truckstops near attractions!

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by zaroba, Jan 19, 2020.

1. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Was thinking of adding these to the trails post, but these aren't trails.

Anybody know of truck stops or rest areas near attractions?
    Or attractions that are truck accessible?

Here is a bunch I have found so far:
    Mississippi Welcome Center (i10, exit 2) is right next to the Infinity Space Center. Park, walk over and see the museum, get a bus tour of the John C Stennis Space Center.

If you're near Atlanta Georgia, there is a small truck stop off i75 exit 293. Tellus Science Museum is right behind it.

i80 Iowa, exit 65 Flying J has a hotel next door and is almost across the street from the Adventureland Amusement Park (Flying J to park driveway is shorter then the walk up the driveway to the main entrance). Numerous bars in the park including a swim up bar in a pool. Stop for a 34 and spend the day getting drunk and riding the rides.

i65 Kentucky, exit 58 Loves has a small zoo next to it. Haven't had a chance to stop there yet so can't comment on it.

Rest area on 191 in Utah near Spanish Valley has trails among the rocks and is a short walk to a place called Hole N The Rock, was closed when I stopped there so no clue what it's like. But it has a zoo and museum.

Garden City, KS. The Lee Richardson Zoo. There is a small baseball field just to the south of the zoo you can park a bobtail in if it's empty. It's about a mile walk around the zoo to the entrance at the north, but the zoo is free to walk through (or was when I visited a few years ago while waiting for a Tyson load). There is also a small waterpark next to the zoo but I didn't visit while there.

Coal Valley, IL (just south of Moline/Davenport). The Niabi zoo has a designated bus/rv parking area. Also bob tailed there while waiting for a Tyson load so it's been a few years since visiting.

Buffalo Zoo in Buffalo NY. Bobtailed there once in 2015 while on a 34. This one is iffy, it is a small parking lot with no designated space for large vehicles and they charge to park. I called them prior to visiting to get confirmation about visiting and think they only allowed it because it was a weekday and the weather was crummy so they wouldn't have many cars. Had to pay for parking as a bus. The entrance was lined with trees that were not cut high enough for a semi to fit under when I went so use caution.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    2 more I remembered:

i10 exit 322 Arizona, The Thing truck stop.
    Small fictional museum about aliens coming to earth and enslaving dinosaurs.

i10 exit 106 California. Cabozan Truck & Auto Stop. Really run down truck stop, but right next to Cabozon Worlds Biggest Dinosaurs. Tiny 'zoo' that just has lots of fake dinosaurs with info on them. More of an attraction for children then adults. But I think any place is worth checking out at least once while on the road.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Kings Dominion Amusement Park is right across the street from the truckstop in Doswell, Virginia off I-95...

5. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    TA Nashville is right next to Nissan Stadium, home of the Titans, the CMA awards happen there too.

flood, Just passing by, stwik and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Jubitz truck stop in Portland oregan has a bus stop right at the truck stop. You can ride the city bus and trains. You can go to drag races in the summer. The train stop at the race track. You can take the bus and other train to ride the up to the cable car up to hospital. They have observation deck.
    IMG_20130817_160833_583.jpg IMG_20130817_161540_390.jpg IMG_20130817_162055_354.jpg
    You can ride the Yellow MAX train to race tracks. It's only like 10 miles from truck stop but take like 1 hour getting on the bus at truck stop and switching to the MAX train
    Portland International Raceway // Directions

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. Leviathan Tube

Leviathan Tube Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Georgia
    Nice thread. Hope to see more contributions!

8. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Would love to explore Portland sometime when at Jubitz. Unfortunately so far the only time I've been there long enough to do so was when my truck broke down for a week 2 days after I badly sprained my ankle so I wasn't in much of a condition to do sightseeing. But the hotel at Jubitz is a pretty nice place.

Cabinover101, D.Tibbitt and Brandt Thank this.
  9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.

expedite_it and zaroba Thank this.
  10. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    All of which are overrated.

The problem with that TA is that during football season, they block off the entire back lot for parking during Titans home games, so if one plans to park there the weekend during a game, plan ahead, or plan to [try to] park up at the Love's three miles up 24/65.

(There are other little hidey holes around the Nashville area, although due to the rampant amount of boomtown residential construction going on, they're also all disappearing pretty quick.)

WildTiger1990 and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I have been to almost all of those truck stops and never knew that stuff existed. Guess i need to look past the parking lot every once in awhile

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.