Trying to cut cost

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Volvo860, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Volvo860

Volvo860 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2018
    GN I would like some advice on getting a generator or an APU what are the advantage? any advice will be welcome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Biggest advantage is your truck engine isn't running. Every turn of that engine is one closer to its end.

It also takes less fuel to operate than idling all night. So, savings there.

And $10k is a heck of a write-off.

My $0.02

4. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yep, what Rusty said. I can't bring myself to spend $10k on one though. Too many people have issues with them & then there is no cost savings at all. I know a lot of people have good luck with them but there's almost as many that don't. I'm going with a diesel generator & a roof top AC unit and a bunk heater for heat. Truck already has the heater & I'll have about $5k tops in my generator/ac set up.

x1Heavy, KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I went the generator route with both my trucks. Honda EU3000is. The upfront cost for EVERYTHING (Fridge, A/C, Inverter, Hotplate, Microwave, Heater etc etc, is maybe 25% of what an APU will cost. The generator is super quiet compared to an APU. Also,.. new they have a 3 yr warranty and are serviceable at any RV or Honda service center which there are thousand of locations across the country compared to specific APU centers.

The other factor is the cost for service and repairs to an APU,.. its cheaper to replace the generator than what most APU repairs cost. Plus there are so many different set ups and uses that the generator can perform. You have 30 amp 120v power for anything you need.

The down side,.. filling the gas cans in bad weather. Lugging the window A/C from the upper bunk to the window. There are other options,.. and I am looking into a roof mount A/C for my KW. Not an option for my Columbia.

Fuel savings,.. on average compared to idling,.. I save approx $10,000 - $12,000 annually. So in 1 yr it pays for itself 4 - 5 times over.

For reliability,.. I have 2 of them. The one in my Columbia is almost 4 yrs old. I finally replaced the battery in it last month. Other than that,.. its been 100%. No problems or issues ever. It starts and works everywhere.

Thats my opinion and 2 cents.

Hurst

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I would suggest you use the search function. Not in a smart ### way either. There is a very good thread that's been running for a few years that is about 44 pages long where drivers have posted up lots of good info on poor man's APU. I was looking at it myself the other day ago and decided to go with the set up @Tug Toy has. Wal Mart has those Champion 3500 generators on sale right now for $299 + tax. Everyone gives those a thumbs up as good bang for the buck and a quiet generator. Honda and Yamaha make really good generators too but they come at a premium and I wanted to keep things under $1,000.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    You could just tap into the truck electrical system, that would keep you from having to have a separate battery for the generator.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, look at Champion generators. They make generators almost as small and quiet as Honda at half the price. The one I have (2KW) I just use for camping so it doesn't run as much as in a truck, but it has run flawless for 3 years.

You could go with a diesel generator and just tap into the truck tank for fuel, but you're going to sacrifice on noise level and purchase cost. There is even a video on YouTube where there is a company that is trying to get a military contract, is developing a kit to make a standard spark ignition gas generator to run on diesel.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    After 3.5 yrs,.. the $86 replacement battery was a minor cost. It sits inside a compartment in the generator.

My issue with generators like the Champions are my TV, Sat receiver and when I had my son's Xbox in here. The Champions do not have built in inverters with voltage control. They are fine for something like the AC and fridge etc,.. but I dont trust them to not spike and burn up something more delicate.

I think its best to do some research on what you need for what you plan to have in the truck regarding creature comforts.

The Champions are a lot more affordable than the Honda 3000. I did check into about 30 different generator options before I went with the Honda EU3000is. Not knocking the Champions or others. This is what I wanted for my set up.

The problem with diesel generators like the Gensets was the same issue I had with an APU,.. noise. Most of them are powered by a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel,.. and they vibrate and make noises similar to a 1960's lawn tractor. The EU3000is is so quiet and smooth,.. you do not hear it when inside the sleeper. You can stand right in front of it outside and still hold a normal conversation with out the need to raise your voice. There are no diesel generators that even come close. The other factor with diesel generators is also the same issue I have with APU's,.. cost. They are expensive. Most that I looked at that would power what I needed were in the $3000+ range.

Hurst

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    KB3MMX, Grubby, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Good points Hurst. There's a lot to consider. Personally I only want a basic APU that provides A/C in the summer. That's it. I don't have/need a fridge, tv, or any of that and don't really need it to power anything else either. My truck burns over 1-1/2 gallons of fuel an hour idling at 1,000 rpms.

KB3MMX and Hurst Thank this.
  10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Champion does make inverter generators now. I’m sure it’s to compete with the likes of Honda and Yamaha. I started out with a Champion 3500. It’s a great generator but it’s noisy and has no inverter. I’ve since switched to a Champion 2000 inverter generator. It’s MUCH quieter, sips fuel, and is also a lot lighter. I’d like to upgrade to a Honda if this one ever wears out though, just because.

Hurst, you’ve got pretty much the same truck I’ve got. Before you go cutting it up, consider what I’ve done for my AC. This won’t work if you have/need an upper bunk. Mine doesn’t have one so I built a shelf across the existing side shelves and put an 8000 BTU window AC on it. Bought some 10” ducts. Ran an intake duct to one sleeper window and exhaust duct to the other.

Slide the windows open, fire up the generator, and be cool on yer stool. Lol.

KB3MMX and cke Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My truck came with a Thermo King APU.
    Bought it used last year, it's 6 years old now, works good.
    AC will freeze you when it's 120 outside.
    Bunk heater will bake a ham.
    The inverter it came with is either too small or worn out to run a small microwave.
    I fixed a leak in the fuel line to it, was like $18 in parts, but it chewed up it's belt later, and that was about $250 at Thermo King to get repaired.
    I never idle. Only once, and I think that is because my fuel water separator was going bad, and the fuel line to the Webasto froze in Fort Collins when it was -10.

86scotty and KB3MMX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.