Trying to find a otr job with no school. Having trouble finding work!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by energystar2008, Jun 19, 2012.

1. energystar2008

energystar2008 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2012
    spencer, iowa
    I went out and got my Class A in March 2012 after having my classB for years. I have 5 years of straight truck experience but I have very light tractor trailer experience but enough to motor down the road. Every company i have been talking to requires cdl school. Ugh! Anyone know of any companies that hire no school drivers? And as a small bonus i have my haz-mat and tank endorsements!!:biggrin_25519:

If anyone can help that would be completely awesome!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Check on Craigslist, with your local unemployment office, the local paper. Also, don't hesitate to apply with the local trucking companies. They may hire on the fact that your there in person, rather than an online applicant.
    Some companies have both T\T and straight trucks, so you might find it easier to get hired that way. Plus, if your working for a local company, you may well be in your own bed every night.

4. walstib

walstib Darkstar

With no documented non-straight truck experience, I expect you're going to find more of the same, unless some local company that's self-insured...But I don't know everything so you may prove me wrong, good luck...

5. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Yep, nowadays you will really pay hell trying to get a job have not gone through an accredited school. If it were possible everyone would go that route, right?! Well bite bullet and do it the right way this time. You maybe able to get by with a refresher course at probably half the price of schooling. Probably around $2500 for that. Your other option is to go through a company that has their own schooling and they will just give you the refresher part. Personally that is the route I would go.

Good luck man...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.