Trying to get a head start before going to CDL Training.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by kmfishing, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kmfishing

kmfishing Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    I will be attending Swift's CDL School in San Antonio Tx on Feb. 4th. I’m trying to get a jump start on learning all the things that I will need to know for operating a Commercial Vehicle. Since I live in Tx and the School is in Texas I figured it would be good to read over the Texas CDL Handbook. Here is the link to it http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/CDLhandbook.pdf. Is this what I need to be reading?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. demingrickjames

demingrickjames Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Deming, NM
    The CDL handbook will cover some of the subjects that will be on the written test, you'll also need to read the books on air brakes, and Hazardous Materials. Doubles-triples and tankers too if you'll be taking those tests.

I don't know how driving schools work, but I assume they'll go over some or all of this with you before you take the test.

4. kmfishing

Nov 25, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Thanks, but do you know of a link to where they sell the books or host them for free?

5. demingrickjames

Jan 8, 2009
    Deming, NM
    You should be able to get them all for free at your local DMV. They're not state specific. I'm sure a web search should come up with some form of pdf manuals though.

6. demingrickjames

Jan 8, 2009
    Deming, NM
  7. kmfishing

Nov 25, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Tx

Thanks a lot!!! I think I will be printing this out tomorrow and then begin to read through all of it. I have all this time on my hands so I figured I might as well start studying for the test. Thanks again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.