Trying to get back into trucking after 20 yrs

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by vickz3, Oct 16, 2007.

1. vickz3

vickz3 Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2007
    DeBary, Florida
    I drove truck for 12 yrs OTR (48 states) however I've been off the road for about 20 yrs. now. Any ideas what companies would hire me, or what would be required of me now? I live between Daytona and Orlando Florida. Any and all help would really be appreciated.
    Thanks Vickz3 :biggrin_1square2:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    A little more information would help the others answer your questions. Do you still hold your CDL? What have you been doing since you quit driving OTR? Those types of things, are helpful when asking about getting back into the industry.

4. vickz3

vickz3 Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2007
    DeBary, Florida
    I've kept my CDL current all these years. I've been in sales for the past 20 years. I also had a supply company, and drove box trucks occasionally through the years. I've always loved trucking. I'm getting burned out in sales.

5. al_huryn

al_huryn Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am in the same boat sorta. I've been out about 10 yrs except a run here and there with an O/O cousin of mine. Still know how to drive and I'm driving a Class B currently. I have been calling and e-mailing companies now since about March or so. I have been told by all but 1 company that I have to go to school again. They won't even give me a road test. I have asked about various traning programs many run and they all say after gong thru school again that they will work with me. It's really frustrating, I have been flat hung up on by more than one recruiter after being told "go back thru school", or "we won't touch you...", etc etc. Prime told me they would send me out 60 days with a trainer and Schneider says I can go to their "academy". 60 days is ok, but the Big Pumpkin wants an 18 month committment. Too long for my tatse. I already have a CDL in good standing, can't see paying again for something I already have. Good luck with your search if you hit pay dirt let us know....

6. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

...wouldn't hurt to try, I know former employees get a shot at re-employment, had two in my orintation class...

7. vickz3

vickz3 Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2007
    DeBary, Florida
    Thanks Bubbavirus I will. I've had a few call backs so far. Going to start filing out some applications now.
    Thanks for the help.

8. sgt5ar

sgt5ar Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2007
    BFE, Ar
    I too found myself coming back out otr, a few years back. I had only been off the road for 7 years, but had 8 yrs exp. I didnt initially try to hire on with any trucking comps, I bought a truck and went o/o for two years, not a big truck, a dually, pulling campers. Would still be doin it to, but fuel went up, surcharges didnt:biggrin_25513:. So I parked the dually and hit up one of the companies I had driven for in the past. Gave me a physical/drug screen, watched some safety vids, put me in a worn out POS international and sent me out into the mean nasty world. 2 wks after hire they dispatched me back to terminal in the middle of the week to show me my brand new shiny pete:biggrin_2556:. So, I guess if I had to do it all over again I would have come here before buying that dually.
    So anything is possible, just keep your chins up and keep searching, there are still a FEW companies out there that dont let the insurance companies dictate who they can or cannot hire when it comes to RECENT otr exp.

Loose Leaf Thanks this.
  9. Himes3328

Himes3328 Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    I too am in the same boat....I have about 35 to 40 applications out...C.R.ENGLAND said to call them monday...? Well ? I told them to check references and past job experience and call me...She still wants me to call her monday. I already have my CDL so I don't need schooling and I really don't need a trainer...But then again I won't be to choosey right now...Need the experience with any company so I can go with a better one later....The one and only HOBO...:yes2557:

10. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I find it quite troubling that the very people in charge of deciding if a former driver is still qualified, have.....NEVER...driven OTR themselves, be it HR, recuiters, or insurance underwriters.

It simpley kills me to see the requirement for a 6 month anal exam a guy needs to go through to drive a truck. I could see a litte refresher, but "go through driving school again".....geeze

11. evertruckerr

evertruckerr Heavy Load Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you try to hire on with one of the big companies out there to run OTR, you are going to find out that they will require you to go through training just like a newbie.

I assume this is for two reasons.

1. The insurance companies force them too.

2. You are an experienced driver that they know can drive a truck and they can pay you the same as an inexperienced driver.

When I started driving OTR, I had 5 years current local driving experience and still had to run with a trainer for 6 weeks. A little annoying considering my "trainer" had just over 1 years exp.

You might be able to find a small O/O outfit that will hire you, but then you will be looking at lower pay and poor benefits. Definitely a catch 22 situation.

In all honesty, I'm sure it is primarily the insurance companies that dictate who gets hired and what qualifications are required. They are the ones that actually run this country.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.