Trying to get the fan clutch to line up with the hub to remove, any ideas??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by HopeOverMope, Dec 13, 2019.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    AE5E72B1-971C-4FFA-85B5-9FC93335792D.jpeg After searching on here, didn’t see anything, so I’m posting.

I’m trying to get the fan clutch holes to line up with the hub so I can take the clutch off, and the hub. I need to rebuild the hub, and my clutch I think went out too maybe. The night before the bearing sleeve/ bearing failed my fan was running non stop. Dropped the load and got back home.

by myself it’s been tricky to hold the hub while prying the clutch over to get the holes to line up. I’ve been hooking up all sorts of macgyver’isms, nothing yet. I got a portable air compressor, so tomorrow I was going to see about getting a shop air attachment and shooting air into the hub, because maybe my clutch actually wasn’t dead and it’s just my solenoid. That way I can free it, to get it to turn.

any other ideas to get the two to line up so I can continue the job?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Normally I take the fan off and then remove the whole assembly from the front of the engine.

haycarter, spsauerland and stayinback Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If it does not have air pressure, it locks.

I and my mechanic uses a filter band wrench to hold anything like that. I got a bunch of them from harbor freight ... cheap and adjustable.

5. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    That’s what I tried too. There’s four bolts holding the hub back. But! The bolts are too long to remove without taking the pulley/hub off. I only undid one bolt and it wouldn’t come all the way into my hand, but what if I undid all four, would the threads be backed back enough to pull the whole assembly?

prior to this post, I was trying to take the clutch off the hub, so I can take the hub off. The clutch is of course bolted to the hub, but the holes aren’t lined up because of where it’s locked in position. So I can’t get my socket wrench through the clutch holes to reach the bolt heads that holds the clutch to hub

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    filter band wrench, ok. Yea I did try using a 2” ratchet strap with some rubber underneath it, but it would still spin. It gripped it good, but still would spin just enough to not let the clutch change position

7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    On mine, I took off the small 6 bolts that holds the plates on the back side. It will pop out a little bit but it won't bother anything.

Definitely do not just replace the bearings. Get the kit to rebuild the clutch along with the friction material and seals.

I highly recommend a kit from kit Masters. If you have any problem they have excellent support.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    They can get stuck or seized in the locked position. We would plumb shop air to it which is about 150 psi and then wrap it with a hammer until it pops free then you can spin it to get to those allen screws.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    If the bearings are ok, that hub you can remove those small bolts on the back. Take the covers off and the friction material slides out the back.

10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Or unbolt it from the block. That's were you are. Pointless to service the hub on the truck other that exchanging friction material. You will never get it done in that little bit of room.

11. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Ok ten four. My little air compressor probably puts out 120 tops. Not enough?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.