Trying to help a friend

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jumpman, May 31, 2023.

1. Jumpman

Jumpman Light Load Member

May 13, 2021
    Hey Guys,

I am trying to help a friend and need some guidance. I have a friend that is thinking of getting his CDL so he is asking me if he should do it. Here is the situation. He is 53 years old and in excellent health, he has a clean driving record and no criminal record. He worked for over 15 years with a restoration company and drove a straight truck (non cdl) daily and prior to that was in the Military. The issue is work history verification. The restoration company he worked for was part of a franchise chain and at the peak of Covid the owner of the business started having health issues and said F it and just shut it down. My friend had some money put aside so he spent the last few years doing the van life and just driving all over North America, his cash reserves has declined to the point where he is wanting to get back into steady employment. He asked me about OTR and that is where I am at. He has the money to pay for the CDL school and is not tied down so my question is how best to help him out?. Are there places that hire without being able to verify work history? The corporate office for the franchise said they do not have employment records for individual locations so no way to verify his employment with the company. He can verify the Military employment but that is a long time ago. Is this a deal killer for him?

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does he still have income tax records. If so, that verifies employment. That and his DD-214 is good enough.
    Also, it's not unusual for retirees to return to the workforce as truckers.
    Some are in their 70's and 80's.
    For those 3 years, he was "retired", not "unemployed"
    Where is his domicile; state and nearest city/town?

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    blairandgretchen, tscottme and Jumpman Thank this.
  4. Jumpman

May 13, 2021
    He has tax records from the franchise time and the DD-214 but nothing for like the last 3+ years. He is in the Dallas area but is willing to go wherever.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jumpman Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Dairy Transport
    Milk tankers.
    Meals & lodging provided while in cdl school.
    Hourly pay while in cdl school.

[​IMG]

7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Doing the "van life"? :p :D

Also of interest: can your friend pass a drug screen? Urine sample--and/or hair follicle?

Texas is a GREAT PLACE to look for a CDL "big rig" job...:Transportation cost :thumbup:

-- Lual

Jumpman Thanks this.
  8. Jumpman

May 13, 2021
    The retirement angle I had never even considered and I actually mentioned to him just last night that he could stay by me while he is going thru CDL school.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Make sure on his applications, for the last 3 years, he was "retired" and not "unemployed"

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Jumpman

May 13, 2021
    The drug testing is no problem. He was in the same Unit I was while in the military so we had regular ongoing testing,

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.