Trying to lighten the truck, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Loaderlou, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi friends. Is it possible to cut out the inside rail of a double rail frame. Without taking everything apart.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    No.

Even if you did take it all apart and remove the inner rails you would likely run into massive alignment issues going back together since the outer rails would essentially be 1/2" or more closer together.

Roberts450 Thanks this.
  4. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    If it were possible to cut out the inner rail I would leave the critical pieces, as in the cross members and such, since you would have to make up that space anyway. It would have to be a very late model vehicle to avoid rust issues between the rails

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    It would be impossible the cut out the inner rail without causing structural damage to the outer rail.

Sounds like a good way to hack up a perfectly good truck to me.

6. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Even if it were possible how much weight would you lose? I doubt it would be worth the headache.

7. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    I was just wondering if anyone has done it. I know you would have to be so precise and patient. Im looking at at late model tractor that is too long and heavy for what I do. I can get it shortened for 5k but still on the heavy side. Other than that it’s perfect for me and my physical ailments.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  8. Dave124

Dave124 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Buy a different used truck that better fits your application? There are hundreds upon hundreds of good used trucks available.

9. Dave124

Dave124 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Buy a different used truck that better fits your application? There are hundreds upon hundreds of good used trucks available.

10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    How much weight would be subtracted? If the inner rail is removed, don’t you need to replace the cross members with slightly longer ones?

11. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Spec'ing used trucks is a pain.

I'd keep looking for something closer to, or at least with the right bones, to what you need, then make it your own.

You can change, customize, add, build, etc a lot of stuff on these, but in your situation if you are dead set on that truck and singling the frame out I wouldn't touch it unless you just slid new rails in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.