Trying to make a silk purse out of my max 6

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Hulld, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Oh boy where do I start?
    To start I have been in business for over thirty years so let’s get that out of the way.
    You have no idea about me or my businesses to make any assumptions about how they run and I can assure you they all make a profit.
    My car hauling is only a part of six different businesses that I own and operate.
    The trucking part that I run is being run the way many say can’t be done and be profitable.
    It’s a part time operation and I have my own customers that I have had for many years.
    Every business property and equipment is fully paid for and has been for years.
    All my businesses not only make money but they help support each other and help make things more affordable such as insurance.
    Take like the axles for the trailer for example.
    I was able to talk directly to dexter engineering and the price was deeply discounted because I am a gold dealer thru my repair shop business for a trailer supply company.
    It cost me very little to do the axle upgrade and I can tell you the safety factor and piece of mind is priceless.
    As I write this I am sitting in Florida taking the three months vacation at my second home that I take every winter.
    So again tell me again what I’m doing wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    3 months isn't long enough to avoid the cold, but it'll already be hot down there.

Hulld Thanks this.
  4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    True, but I’m from upstate ny so anything warmer than 50 degrees is heaven to me...

Ruthless, brian991219 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  5. rowekmr

rowekmr Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I am a newbie to this so could you explain how air over hydraulic brakes work? I understand hydraulic brake operations and air brake operations just didn't know they coexisted?

Also what modifications did you do to the truck for car hauling?
    Thanks

6. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Ah yes!! Another ray of sunshine from Mr. Positive assuming that everyone that hauls cars is doing it wrong and going broke!!
    @Hulld that would have been no fun coming down the Gap with just tractor brakes!! Good job on the upgrade. Looks factory.

7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    They basically just use an brake chamber to actuate the hydraulic master cylinder. Fairly common on city delivery straight trucks.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the compliment.
    I just can’t figure out with such tight stringent dot rules for trucking that dot would allow a trailer manufacturer to produce a semi trailer with a 48,000# GVW with such an ineffective un safe brake system or why the manufacturer would want the liability?
    It’s got to be a money thing for the trailer builder I guess.
    The other thing is with the full air brake system you have less hardware than the air over hydraulic part.
    To convert to full air brake you basically bolt the axels in and run the air lines from the existing air system on the trailer and your good to go.

Ruthless, Hammer166 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Hammer gave you a pretty good explanation of how air over hydraulic brakes operate.
    As far as modifications to the tractor for car hauling the only things I have done is run a heavy fuse protected wire back to the trailer to run the hydraulic deck.
    The only other thing is a full set off rear fenders with very short mud flaps that almost touch the ground to keep any road debris from damaging the cars on the trailer.

Hammer166, brian991219 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You didn't happen to buy that tractor from Kinney's out in Oneida a few years ago? Something about it loos unique, they had one I was looking at when my Volvo was down, had been a Penske truck then was hauling hay and race cars for an old timer.

By the way, don't feed the trolls. I used to argue my point that high-mounts, and yes smaller car trailers, do in fact have a valid place in the car haul industry. You, like me, have a niche and your equipment fits it perfectly. I never had a stinger, the extra time and deck space would have been wasted being I did milk runs. Same stops daily, must run even if there are only 3 or 4 units, no time to wait for or grab an extra unit. Out and back in just under 14 hours. The extra space and expense of a stinger would be a waste to me.

Enjoy your vacation, although it isn't that bad up here right now.

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the reply.
    The tractor was ex Penske truck but it came from Waco Texas.
    I actually found it in the truck paper and after a lot of pictures and a video and research thru Detroit and Penske I flew down to Texas paid for it and drove it home.
    It’s never seen a day in salt and the way my operation runs I have been able to keep it that way.
    As far as the trailer goes I realize it’s would not work for a full time operation at all.
    But now that I have addressed the brake issues I can say it works perfectly in almost every way for what I am doing.
    It’s so light that with my tractor I can practically load any vehicles I want on it and be well below my licensed GVW which is below the heavy truck tax.
    I am not a big supporter of the eld mandate but I have to say when I roll thru the scales knowing that I have truck and trailer with no issues and I am no way overweight and my Elogs are good I feel like king of the road instead of wondering it this is the time I’m going to have my butt handed to me.
    Heck most of the time now they just put me to the outside and send me back out on the road.
    There is definitely a certain value to that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.