Trying to start a career in trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kt0595, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Kt0595

Kt0595 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Im completely new to truckers report. But I’m truly interested in getting a start in trucking so I came here for some advice. I’ve already talked to Chinatown already and he gave me some helpful advice. I wanted to get started in the right direction. My question is I talked to a beer distribution company today in my city. And they said they would hire me and get me my CDL. I had an accident with a failure to yield ticket but since it was my first offense all I have to do is take a defensive driving course and they’ll dismiss it. Do you think the distribution company would still hire and train me? And should I still list the citation even though it’ll be dismissed? Should I wait until after I take the driving class to apply? That’s the only spot that I have on my driving record. No prior tickets or anything.

I’m 22 years old I turn 23 in June. I just recently graduated with my bachelors and I’m about to start an online grad program. So while I was pursuing that. It would be nice to get my CDL so I can always have a back up plan because where I’m from in Louisiana it’s like every company needs a CDL driver. And being next to Texas makes it even more better. If the beer company doesn’t accept me my next option is to go to a company and sign a contract but I’m afraid that taking that route I’ll fall behind on my masters. I’m only taking 6 hours a semester and it’ll take a year to complete online (around the same time that my contract would be up). So if anybody can throw me some advice it would help. I also don’t wanna pay 5-7 thousand to a truck driving school. I didn’t go in debt for college so I won’t go in debt for my CDL but it’s something that I truly want deep down inside. I graduated from a university. With all my classes on campus. But luckily the new university that I’m getting my masters from offers the whole program online. So if the beer company passes on me I’ll just go otr and try to complete the program on my down time (when my clock runs out and while I’m waiting to be loaded or etc). Would it be possible or nearly far from possible. The whole program is considered a piece of cake from students I’ve talked to. It’s mostly papers and peer reviews. Between 300-500 words.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Looks like you're ok for this job that hires new cdl grads.
    CDL A- Company Driver (Associate)- Regional-Lake Charles LA
    JW Nelson Transport- A Trimac Transportation Associate Branch - lake Charles, Louisiana
    Solo | Regional | Tanker
    Earn up to $78,000 Hauling Chemicals
    Requirements:
    • Hazmat/Tanker Endorsements
    • 1 year verifiable tractor trailer experience or recognized driving school across North America.
    • No previous driving record involving consumption of illegal or intoxicating substances in the past 10 years
    • Not involved in a major preventable accident in the past 3 years
    • No more than 2 highway convictions in the past 2 years
    Walk-Ins Welcomed and Encouraged:
    Apply in person Monday -Friday 8am to 4pm
    6273 US 90 East, Fruge St., Lake Charles, LA, 70615

4. Kt0595

Kt0595 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Will they help me get a CDL or I will need one to get hired?

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Honestly, no one for sure can say with 100% certaintity if you will be hired or not.

Apply for the beer job. Be honest about the citation. They will more than likely call you for a phone interview. Explain to them what happened and about the drivers course you are going to take. They may tell you to re-apply, or won't hire you till it is finished, but then you will know. It's getting into the summer and they are going to want to fill positions fast, so get the process started.

As far as otr, you could finish your degree on the road. Of course you won't have as much time each day as you would if your home daily, but it can be done.

Also, you can go otr and not have to pay for it or go into debt. Call your local unemployment office. There is a grant program, here in Ohio it's called WIA, where they will pay for you to be trained to get your cdl at an accredited school. They pay for medical card, class, endorsements, and cdl, at least they did for me. Call them and see if you qualify. That way you will have the option of chosing what you want.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

6. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    5-7k for school is a highway robbery. School in Chicago costs $2500-3000.They will teach you enough to pass exam.You can also get grant from unemployment office but it takes more time.

7. Kt0595

Kt0595 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    I’m taking the classes next Tuesday and Wednesday then I’m going pay the ticket the Friday with my certificate with me. I was planning on going to the beer company the following week when I settled all of the stuff with the ticket. Imma take ur advice and still tell them everything even though it won’t still be on my record.

I’m in the process of trying to get the wia Grant now. But the lady at the driving school told me it may be hard for her to get me three pre hires. I’ll call her in the morning and for an update. So told me go get a dot physical and a dot drug test but she said that she would hate for me to waste my money if I can’t get three pre hires because the unemployment office wants me to have three pre hires

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  8. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    If the beer distributor already said they'd train you to get your CDL, why don't you just take the defensive driving course before you even apply to them.. That way the case is dismissed and they won't even have to know about it.. most companies aren't going to sweat 1 preventable accident.. more than that and you are screwed.

-----
    Edit you posted the answer right as i posted this :^)

9. Kt0595

Kt0595 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Exactly. That’s complete highway robbery. It doesn’t make any sense for it to be that expensive

10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Prehires should be easy. Heck, I had 11 in one week. Contact all the mega companies like Swift, Werner, etc. Fill out their online app and tell them you need a prehire. They can get you one. They will want to set you up for orientation oncw you graduate. Tell them you will contact them, and when they call to follow up, once you graduate, tell them you decided to go local.

11. Kt0595

Kt0595 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    So I should be fine just with the accident with the citation being dismissed?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.