Tuitio reimbursemant and per diem. Good or bad??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SHOJim, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hello,

Starting drivers school Monday and paying out of pocket. Have been looking at companies with tuition re-imbursement. I have been told that companies will cut CPM if you do tuition re-imbursement. Also, is per diem a bad route to go? There are some companies that have my interest but don't offer tuition re-imbursement. I know that going into company and not opting for tuition re-imbursement gives you "an out" as you don't have to be "locked-in" Just want some clarification.

Thanks to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. albhb3

albhb3 Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2009
    companies do NOT give you a lump sum usually they will split it up to around 100 per month so you would not be locked in

4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
  5. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Tuition Reimbursement: some companies might cut your miles, but thats an easy fix, do your research and go to a good company!

Per Diem: your just ripping yourself off

You will not be locked in if your getting the reinbursment, you just wont get anymore money from them or your future employers.

American Trucker

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Every tuition reimbursement (TR) I've seen isn't worth doing. For example, the companies I researched that paid TR based on monthly mileage wound up paying the driver less than the companies that paid no TR and driver repaid his own loan. Do the math for yourself to see if TR is a good deal or not.

Every CDL school can tell you what students typically pay for the loans they arrange. In my case in the early 1990s I repaid about $135 per month. Compare that to a company TR plan. Also compare that to non-TR if you drive 2500 miles per week or 10,000 per month times mileage pay.

TR is not necessarily a good deal. Do the math to see if it makes sense. If driving doesn't pay you far far more income than your current pay plus the loan payment for school you really don't want to be playing in traffic like the rest of us.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Per Diem is intended to be a convenience to the driver. Rather than non per diem where the driver waits until the end of the year, saves his log books, files IRS Form 2106 and deducts his meal expenses while OTR, he's given an amount roughly equivalent to daily meal expenses upon which he pays no taxes. The benefit is he has the expense money during each pay cycle rather than at the end of the tax year.

However, there are drivers that seem to focus on maximizing their Social Security inputs, and plan on receiving disability payments and other such things that report accepting per diem reduces these types of "benefits." That is probably true, but to me that is like driving your car so as to maximize the judgement you will receive when you have some future/possible traffic accident. I usually prefer NOT to receive per diem and process the simple tax forms and keep my own records straight. But I would not likely even consider per diem if two similar companies were involved. If company A offered per diem and company B didn't offer it or gave me the choice, there would have to be other things for me to decide where to work.

Some drivers report they feel they are being taken advantage of by getting paid per diem. But then most drivers are about 3/4 of the way into conspiracy before they get into trucking and then hear from people just like them "They are out to get us" so I'm not sure of these reports.

Smaggs and Bazerk Wizz Bang! Thank this.
  8. Elendil

Elendil Heavy Load Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    My company does not even have per diem as an option.

9. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I started with a company that had a flat TR every month and the CPM was fair, per diem is just a scam at most of the companies. IMO, its a no...

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  10. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks to everyone who gave input. I got too caught up in the tuition re-imbursement. I am paying cash for my school. I just wanted to make sure that if I forgo tuition re-imbursement, I am not shooting myself in the foot.:biggrin_255:

11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm doing per diem with Knight for my first few weeks. I'll decide wether I like it or not and opt out if I say nay to it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.