Turbo gone out twice... what are we doing wrong?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by DPForumDog, Feb 13, 2017.

1. DPForumDog

DPForumDog Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    In 2012 we bought a used 4300 international with a DT-466. In 2013 with only a 100K.miles we were told by the International dealer that the turbo was about to go out so we replaced it. A few days ago with only 160K miles the Turbo went out again.

What are we doing wrong? We have replaced two turbos on this truck.

While we have not put a lot of miles on this truck we do use this truck everyday.

What causes a turbo to go bad? We have several Fords w/turbos that have just as much miles that are still on their original turbo? I can't say that Fords are better because we have a 2006 Int 4300 that still has the original turbo.

Thanks
    Granny DP

DPForumDog

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Bad tune in ecm. Bad charger air cooler.. egr problems.

4. snowblind11

snowblind11 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2017
    When you say your turbo's went what do you mean about that? Like the turbo shaft's have failed? there is excessive oil in the discharge of the turbo (pipe going into the charge air cooler)? low power? Depending if this is a single or dual turbo set up there are different known causes from Navistar on this. 2012 is a bridge year where they went from single to twin turbo so if you have the last 8 of the VIN, it would be helpful.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, what was the failure, and were the two failure exactly the same? Lots can go wrong to fail a turbo, especially VGT ones. During a turbo replacement, we recommend to install new oil feel lines and make sure the drain is clear. On a 466, there is a metal mesh screen filter at the oil filter header that the oil supply line screws to. I replace this screen every time if I can to make sure it is clear. You can remove and clean it, but then you have to replace the o-rings. It is easier to get a new filter fitting because it comes with new orings anyway. Other than that, proper engine operation goes a long way along with proper maintenance. Let the engine run for a few minutes before putting it under load, and let it run for a minutes to cool down after a heavy load too. Do not use extended oil drain intervals.

SAR and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  6. snowblind11

snowblind11 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2017
    On top of that, I have seen the oil port for the crankcase filter drive plug up. This would in the end stop the separator from spinning and cause unfiltered exhaust gas get back into the inlet of the turbo. This also has to do with extended oil drain intervals. You will have to remove it from the block and check both the port on the block and the port on the filter assembly.

Attached Files:

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  7. Shans1211

Shans1211 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2021
    Hey what ended up being the problem on your turbo I'm having the same issue with mine

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.