Turn signals turn on when I hit the break.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by korky, May 4, 2019.

1. korky

korky Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2013
    AZ
    Afternoon y'all.
    I have a 2001 T800 and I just installed a pintle hook on the back as well as a electric brake controller. Before I buttoned up the dash, all the lights worked fine. When I started up the truck this morning and hit the brakes, all the turn signals turn on. When I put the L or R turn signal on, they all come on as if I have the four ways on. Anybody have this issue? I'd rather ask before I spend hours digging around in the dash.
    Thanks for the help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    I would take the dash apart again and looked for pinched/shorted wires. Also, the electric brake controler connects into the wiring system to activate the lights doesn't it?

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Disconnect your brake controller 1 wire at a time. You might have the ground wire hooked up wrong. Power goes to brake light feeds back thru turn signal

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Um No. The trailer brakes work with electro magnets in the drums. The more voltage to the the trailer the more the brakes apply.
    Yesteryear the blue wire in the center of the trailer cord was for accessories. We used them for backup lights on trailers that delivered auto parts all hours of the night. Connected to a toggle switch.
    Also connected them to battery banks which ran lift gates or ramps. Put a 15 amp breaker inline that would open when the motor ran. It would reset and charge the batteries.
    Now you are out of wires and that is for ABS. If you tied into that your truck likely has a headache.
    I have never done this but would probably try this. Connect the BLK and BRN wires on the trailer plug together on the BRN terminal. Then connect your brake control wire from the controller to the black terminal on the 7 way tractor plug. No other wires from the truck with it.
    Connect your trailer brake control wire, from the wheel magnets, to the black terminal on the trailer connector.
    If that is the only trailer you pull you could go old school to the center. However it you pull different trailers your ABS will be disabled. What I outlined could be considered overloading circuits but LED lights do not pull much.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Hammer166 Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Best the put a different plug at the back of the truck for electric brake trailers. How did you do that?

7. Mrdewdew

Mrdewdew Bobtail Member

May 6, 2019
    Where did you splice the brake light wire (blue) into in the truck? You should splice it in at the brake switch and not the rear trailer plug.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It has to go to the rear truck lights, not the trailer circuit, they are wired different, two light system on the truck and 4 light system on the trailer.

9. korky

korky Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2013
    AZ
    Thank you all for the help. Got it fixed. :happy2:

BoxCarKidd and Hammer166 Thank this.
  10. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
  11. korky

korky Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2013
    AZ
    It ended up being my highly professional wiring.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.