Turned down by Landstar, What company now?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Tavares Trucking, Aug 13, 2018.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I pulled mercer loads for 18 years before leasing to them. Not one was cheap. Sure i had mercer agents call me offering cheap loads, but never pulled any of them. the same thing with landstar, admiral, and every other big player. They all got cheap loads, and they all got good paying loads. Its up to you to decide which to pull.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Good for you, Captain Save A Mercer. My experience has been the complete opposite. Of course, anyone that's been frequenting this forum long enough already knows that you'll champion them no matter what and you seem to think they are perfect and can do no wrong. I'm seriously beginning to think you're part owner or maybe I should call you Mr. Stark? Anyway, I stopped calling them. I've called on probably 30 loads in the last 8 weeks and they were all entirely too cheap. I even talked to the main office in Louisville to avoid the agent issue and everything they offer is horrible as well. I've pulled exactly one load for them that was mediocre at best and that went to dead area. I had reasons for taking it there otherwise I wouldn't have ran it.

jsnell Thanks this.
  4. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I'm not championing them. I stated in that post they are basically the same as every other bog player. They got good loads and they got crap loads.

Weeding out the good from the crap is up to the individual person. really no different than any other big brokerage.

Making blanket statements like broker x only had cheap and heavy loads is nothing but ignorant. That's like saying chr nevet had a good paying load, but many of us know that when they gotta have a truck and you are the only one available you can practically name your price. They got deep pockets and will open the check book to save face with a big customer. 4k on a short 450 mile trip and you can run it straight through? No problem if you got a reputation for doing what you say you will.

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    ...But you do and I'm certain you are now. Every time I see anything mentioned about Mercer here, no matter what you have a defense typed up for them. Do you have some sort of alert set for keyword? Like if someone types in the word "Mercer" you get a notice so you can monitor then reply accordingly? Anyway, I'm certain you leased guys get plenty of good paying stuff but for us outside carriers it's not the same at all. So you're claiming it's an agent thing? I'm confused because I've called every agent listed on their website as well as Louisville directly and nobody has given me a decent rate on load moving from one good area to another. I guess they just don't like me because I'm not seeing it. With Landstar at least they're consistent on the rates being somewhat acceptable. I cannot say the same for Mercer. I haven't spoken to a single Mercer agent with good paying freight anywhere. All I've been seeing is cheap, cheap and more cheap garbage. I was actually wondering why they even bother with it. I guess they get enough fools to move it to make it profitable or they wouldn't be doing it.

6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Dude if you looked in the mercer subforum threads you will see I'm one of the biggest critics. I've even been labeled a constant complainer/whiner by the koolaide drinking crowd.

You pull a van if I'm not mistaken, so it's completely possible you and i are have had opposite experiences. (In the context of this conversation I'm speaking of my experience as an outside carrier, not as a contracted owner operator).

As for it being an agent thing. That woukd absolutely be the case. Woth the exception of the big national accounts, every agent operates independently of each other and independent of the head office, not completely independent cause they have guidelines they have to follow, but that's more to do with only loading legal carriers and not taking loads for customers that have abysmal credit.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I pull a flat but like I said, from my experience it's not an agent thing with Mercer. It's just Mercer. Comparing them to Landstar and it's a night and day difference. I'm not sure why anyone would want to lease on with AMMF just to pull Mercer's cheap crap for a percentage when AMMF allegedly has their own customer's freight to move. Why not just lease on with Mercer? To each is own but if AMMF didn't have the freight to keep me in my targeted revenue range I wouldn't take my truck there.

Ok big boy Thanks this.
  8. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    ^^^^ How many times are you going to post the same garage?

DSK333 Thanks this.
  9. JR28262

JR28262 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2018
    What is the reason they didnt hire you?

C'mon dont be shy.

Dont lie.

Tell us the truth, we all want to know.

We know you know cause you would just take denial and say "Ok bye"

The truth will set you free.

im waiting

10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Well when he starts out with "wassup" I think I have a pretty good idea.

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I am looking at leasing on in another 4 months. I will only have a year of experience behind me. I was originally looking at Landstar but they said no to the age of my 97 International. Mercer was my 2 no choice.

Does All Points require ELDs ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.