Turns out trucking is an underrated job for autistic people?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by XenonOxide, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    I'm the same exact way. Very happy to be very alone and in the truck a lot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2023
    Venus, Mars, and Tampa, FL
    Pretty sure I'm on the spectrum somewhere, although high-functioning and like some others said learned to 'hide' it (converse with neurotypicals, i.e., "normies" lol) over the years.

Like @skallagrime was hinting at, I think all these modern labels and 'diagnoses' are just so it can be covered by insurance, lol. And/or just another way to create FUD, make an individual feel like something is 'wrong' with them somehow. The peasants are easier to control that way, you know; most especially once you get them on some pharmaceuticals. But these traits always existed. They are just inconvenient to some aspects of 'modern' society.

I don't consider it a handicap in any way, in fact quite the opposite; these traits are very useful in some areas. I know some quite talented computer programmers, including some people who contribute to the Linux kernel. Many of them are very much further along on the spectrum. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. We just 'think different'.

4. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I see signs every time I look in the mirror.

5. jaffles

jaffles Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Australia
    Tell you what, in my neck of the woods the way truckers carry on using the CB/UHF, I don't think that little pea in their skull even rolls around anymore. Appalling respect for each other, general understanding of what appears to be almost everything, hopeless use of the english language, and hyper sensitive to the slightest criticism or perceived personal or negative comment.
    If the wife or kids knew how they behaved at work I think they would find themselves alone at home as well. Not all as many would be like me and don't even bother turning on the uhf, but the ones who do really need to have a rethink.

6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    There's a definite link between autism and vaccines. Was almost not even heard of 70-80 years ago.

7. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Its probably more that it wasnt being diagnosed as much 50 years ago, just label them as "quiet" or "weird."

gentleroger Thanks this.
  8. XenonOxide

XenonOxide Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2022
    There’s also a definite link between autism and truck driving. Before trucks were invented nobody was autistic! As soon as trucks were invented, suddenly autism started appearing. Coincidence? Think not! Must be the diesel fumes turning everybody autistic!

(/S just in case)

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I will say this upfront. I AM NOT an expert on Autism. I have a tough enough time dealing with epilepsy and heart disease. What I always thought was people suffering from this mostly had problems adjusting to a changing environment. Of course, I understand what spectrum means. I do think some people with ASD can do this job with no issues. In the OTR trucking world, you can go days and follow the same routine, then you have those days when there is a changing situation by the hour. If your ASD affects you like this I don't recommend OTR trucking.

10. tsuj530

tsuj530 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2023
    Stoked to find this post. I'm a CDL candidate in NORCAL, and about 90% with my education. Long story short I need to find a new school, preferably with instructors who can work with someone who has autism and other learning differences. Grateful for any leads. Thanks.

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This here line is the golden turth !!!
    I'am the same way ..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.