Two Trucks...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sean, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Sean

Sean Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Hello everyone,

Well I'm buying a Corral cleaning truck and will have it hopefully paid off in 2 years. My next step is to buy a Highway Rig and haul Dangerous goods B-Train. My question is will it pay off if I buy a Highway Rig and pay someone to drive it? I'll have 2 incomes coming in from the Corral Truck (Which will be paid off)and the Highway Rig. I'll be able to cover all insurance, repairs, Wages ect.. Also, is it hard getting a contract with a Petroleum company? And is it realistic for someone to work 310 billable hours a month driving B-Train?

I'm new to driving Rigs but have 3 cousins who own there own trucking outfits (one of them owns 13 trucks). I actually work for one of them who is getting me started in this. I am learning how to repair the Rigs myself and know quite a bit on the business side of it. But I want to expand into the Petroleum Industry in a few years. Any Comments will be much appreciated.. By the way I live in Alberta Canada...:toothy9:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    Many successful owner operators go out of business after buying their second truck. Hiring a driver is not as easy as it sounds. You may have a hard time luring a driver away from a company with good pay and benefits that you cannot match. A driver who jumps ship to get a job with you will probably jump ship again when he gets a better offer.

I am thinking that 310 billable hours a month would be difficult. That is basically 14 hours per day for 22 days per month. Under current US HOS rules you can only drive 11 in 14 hours so three billable hours per day would have to be of the non driving variety. I am not sure exactly what billable hours are in that industry. Unless you never had to wait for loading or unloading 310 billable hours is nearly impossible on this side of the border.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    actually an "even number" of vehicles will cost you more to operate than if you had an "odd number" of trucks. that's why one of your cousins has 13 trucks. for some reason, the "odd number" pulls better for income purposes as the "even number" just about breaks even.............

i read this in some book written by Lew Grill some years ago, but if you do a google search on him, his site wil pop up nad you can browse through his books for more info.

5. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

that used to be the job nobody wanted, loading gooey used drums on trailers... some have damaged rims, cut your hand open in a second...
    Now trailers get 80 full drums in one load, much higher than it used to be...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.