U joint aligment

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Muddydog79, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Simple question... are all the u joint yolks from the transmission back to the rear tandem supposed to be aligned together? The yolk by the transmission is off a 1/4 round compared to the middle shaft yolks and tandem yolks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yokes between the trans and front diff input should be aligned, The interaxle driveshaft yokes should be aligned between the front diff output and rear diff input only. If you see it not aligned, it was probably apart for some reason and they didn't phase it properly when put back together.

Muddydog79 Thanks this.
  4. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Mine was off out of phase by one spline and it was noticeable. I believe they're both balanced together so you're screwing up the balance is it's out of phase. Also make sure it's straight from the transmission to the diff. Mine was a little off to the left. The carrier bearing had to be adjusted a bit.

5. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Thanks for the help. Gonna replace ujoints and try and get it lined up in the a.m.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.