U.S. oil industry set to break record, upend global trade

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by The Crossword Trucker, Jan 16, 2018.

1. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    This is from Reuters today.
    My favorite two quotes from the article:
    The majors’ shift is driving up costs for labor and drillable land in the region, another boost to wages and wealth in rural areas.
    And

Companies are now offering signing bonuses to attract workers to West Texas. One oil company flies workers to Midland from Houston weekly to fill a local labor void, he said.

“It was an employer’s market,” he said. “Now it’s more of a job seeker’s market.”

U.S. oil industry set to break record, upend global trade

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Just the beginning... What until February when everyone gets that pay raise... ;-)

4. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    "How's the oilfield doing?"

I'm so tired.

"That good huh?"

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Everyone I know has bailed on it... Depending on what you are doing, not everyone drives a truck up there. I did four years up there, made good money... Would I go back? Not on your life.

easytopleez33 Thanks this.
  6. PandaPancake

Dec 23, 2017
    You've mentioned so many times you sound like a scorned ex

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    What have I said that makes me sound "scorned"? I did good up there, but it was long hours and heavy on the drama. Thank God I was paid well as a company driver, making $20 an hour like many are today is not worth my while. With the new HOS and ELDs, I would recommend staying far away, especially at $20 an hour. You can do that right here in Michigan and be home every night if that is what you want. I have done this work before, Alaska was an experience too. You are in Stanley, what are you running up there, water? What are your guys making?

8. PandaPancake

Dec 23, 2017
    I run oil in my own truck. Low miles about three hours round trip doing about a $900-1600 a day.

9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    There's other opportunities to cash in on the boom.

"Roach coaches flock to Permian Basin to fill coffee and hot dog shortage....film at 11".

(AP) Boston, MA-- Convoys of New England-based canteen trucks, also commonly called "roach coaches", are departing the region during the seasonal downturn to cash in on Texas' newest oil boom.

"Theah's no construction around heah this time of yeah", said "Dave", a canteen operator from Winthrop, MA, who declined to give his last name. "Yah gawtta go wheah the customahs ahh."

Dave was asked if the language barrier in Texas might affect his sales.

"Naw. Everybody undastands cawffee. It's a unahversal language.".....

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Fine, good for you. Not my cup of tea. Been there, and done did it. Bought a truck and left and have not looked back. Four years nonstop was enough. I paid my dues, paid everything off, and paid cash for my truck. I accomplished what I set out to do when I went up there. It was not fun, but at the time, that was one of the few places in this country that you could make any real money. Money that I was used to making. Obama had that affect. Prior to that I had five trucks and trailers, so yes, I may come off as a bit "scorned". I saw what was coming, fired everyone and liquidated. My buddies, they held on, two filed bankruptcy and one retired. I went to ND. And I still thank God the opportunity was there, and it was.

But, what I hear today is that it is not that good. $20 an hour for a driver and limited hours, no thanks. Not worth it. And the crude, hit and miss depending on who you are hooked up with, contracts come and go, through no fault of your own. Seen it, lived it. Not impressed. I will haul my lowly auto parts 4 or 5 days a week for a very established company. Took home $3800 this week, NET, worked four and a half days. New Tri-Pac being installed right now, two new SVS subs arrived today, Denon AVR will be here Thursday, and new HERD bumper ordered... It's nice not having any DEBT. ;-)

2018 and Donald Trump, time to live a little. ;-)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Tanker312, tnpete and pmdriver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.