Under 10,000 lb and Uship- how to be legal

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by hertfordnc, Feb 23, 2019.

1. hertfordnc

hertfordnc Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I know, some will click on this just to tell me I'm an idiot, but hear me out.

About 15 years ago when U-ship first came online and we were really broke, i ran my high top van up and down the east coast and made decent money. Like a $1000 in a weekend. Of course it was not sustainable and i stopped after i understood how illegal it was.

But i really loved every minute of it.

Now I'm looking at retirement gigs. I'm thinking hotshot with a truck and trailer and I've posted some questions.

But I'm wondering what would it take to do what i did in 2004 and make it legal?

This would be a way to transition from my current gig to retirement. I'd start in my spare time as i burn up vacation and sick time.

Can i get insurance for under $500/mo?

WHat are the fatal flaws with this plan?

Quest4ADV and Lite bug Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Freight is hard to find in your area. The suggestion I gave last week was the best option for starting out IMHO But without that you get the numbers ( MC....DOT. ). Run up down east coast for dollar a mile off the load board. Do this for about a year. Paying $ 12,000 year in insurance put 100,000 miles on truck and one breakdown and you are out of business. That is a plan with a flaw in it. Best bet is to try to locate freight before investing in truck,trailer and insurance.

4. hertfordnc

Oct 30, 2013
    Well that's what I'm asking, would the insurance be that much on a 5 ton van?

When i was doing U-ship on the weekends 15 years ago i found that i liked a lot of the things people hate about it. I like dealing with quirky people off the beaten path.

I liked having to keep the truck running all night so a parakeet would not freeze to death.

So, i'm looking at Uship now and it's not much different. I picked out some loads that would come to $3/mi from Boston to Tampa with about eight stops at each end.
    A bike, a kayak, a surfboard, and a dog.

It looks like it could work. But the big attraction for me is that if i can get the insurance cost down i can stand this up before i retire.

I can start not making money before i need to make money.

5. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Insurance will vary depending on what you are driving and hauling. Call your insurance broker and ask them for a quote. You may need more insurance depending on your customers but they should be able to easily give you a ball park estimate.

I am however doubtful that when you run the numbers on this business plan it will be very favorable to retirement. Vehicles in general are black holes for money so if you aren’t using that van all the time your expenses and depreciation could easily exceed your profit.

Drive safely

hertfordnc Thanks this.
  6. hertfordnc

Oct 30, 2013
    Yeah. i'm not sure either but the cost of failure is more manageable.

7. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Rent or lease a truck?
    Insure contents separately?

8. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    You need a dot and MC number and commercial insurance. How much a month no one can say except a broker. You might also need cargo insurance. You don't need to keep a log on a vehicle under 10,000 lbs.
    You will be "forced" to run way past the 11 hour logged workday in order to make ends meet or make just a little extra. Unless you are buying a quality commercially built van, you will be buying a new one very often with no value left in the old one.

9. hertfordnc

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm not trying to reinvent trucking, But i wonder if there is a space for a particular kind of customer service?
    Things like snow-bird moving. A Sprinter van hauling the Goldwing, houseplants, a few boxes of stuff and maybe a dog. Door to door, Tampa to Boston, for $2500. a bunch of those in the peak season (Spring and Fall) and some loads to cover the return?

I would do my own marketing through social media and print ads and cultivate some customers.

Not totally ignoring HOS rule (even if they are not applicable) but having a little flexibility would make a huge difference without being stupidly unsafe.

But other than some concierge level pet transport, I'm not finding anybody doing anything like this. So it's either an untapped opportunity or a really stupid idea.

10. dickcarl

dickcarl Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Sure would be great if someone just answered the question and said how much they paid for insurance. I've found, over the years, that people in similar situations pay pretty close to the same amount. (Yes, if you have a $100K tractor it will be different than my tiny little van.) But I'm a bit suspicious all of this doom and gloom is from people who don't like competition.

11. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Its not doom and gloom. Insurance varies greatly depending what you are hauling, how far you are hauling and where you are based out from.
    You want prices? I pay 27k a year for my insurance, someone with the same setup from a different state is paying half of what I pay. That isn't "pretty close to the same amount".
    The only person who can actually tell you what it would cost would be an insurance broker. Call a broker, tell him all the information he needs and you get a quote. It costs you nothing to do so and you wouldn't have to face all this "doom and gloom" you are dealing with here.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.