Under 26000# with air brakes

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Gyrodeputy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Gyrodeputy

Gyrodeputy Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I have been engaged and a rather heated discussion on vehicles with air brakes that are UNDER 26001 pounds.

Here is the scenario: I own a dump truck with a GVWR of 25550#. It has air brakes.

The question becomes, "Just because it has air brakes do you have to have a CDL or what kind of a license does the operator have to obtain or hold or is some special "endorsement required?

I hear the term being thrown around you must have a "Air Brake Endorsement" just because the vehicle has air brakes. I can't find a single state that has such a thing as an "Air Brake Endorsement" only restrictions.

The research I have found is simple: The vehicle is under 26,001# not carrying hazmat or more than 15 passengers, NO CDL REQUIRED...period.

I have found states that have CDL licenses that can have "Vehicles without Air Brakes Only" restrictions. But I can't find a single state that requires or even OFFERS a Air Brake "Endorsement."

I believe a simple operators license is all that is required in this scenario.

PLEASE, can anybody show me a written regulation, law or guide that shows otherwise?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I don’t know what the written law is but you need to have an endorsement for air brakes to drive any vehicle with air brakes.
    With that being said the only way you can get an air brake endorsement is with a CDL so I would say a CDL would be required to drive your truck.
    That’s a very unusual truck you have there having a gvw under 26,000lbs and having air brakes.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    @Scalemaster mind fielding this one?

I would say it's not needed as air brakes are a restriction on cdl's. No cdl, no restriction.
    It's diffrent than say tanks that require a specific endorsement.

Gyrodeputy and brian991219 Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm in Canada and I had an air brake endorsement on a regular passenger vehicle license for over 3 years. Our rules are quite a bit different up here though.

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Sounds like you have vacuum assist not air brakes. If it has air brakes your going to need a class B to get the endorsement.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  7. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    I thought this was a good question so I checked a bunch of resources, apparently the air brake endorsement is a CDL only requirement; any vehicle which does not require a CDL but has air brakes can be operated by any licensed driver without restriction or requirement in regard to the type of brake system on the vehicle.

I was shocked at first, then I realized that the stuff they test for to get the air brake endorsement on CDL's is pretty useless anyway when compared to what you need to know about air brake systems.

wis bang, sirhwy, brian991219 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    The research you mention is correct, 383.9.

That's because in the U.S., federally there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement. 383.93

brian991219 Thanks this.
  9. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    There is no endorsement, but you are correct that the air brake "stuff" they test for and the info in he CDL manual is useless, and I will add that it idiotic and quite erroneous as stated in the CDL manual.

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You are correct, there is no air brake endorsement. Air brakes only matter after you have gotten into cdl territory.

I've heard some states require something for your situation, might want to check the cdl manual for your state

skellr Thanks this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    How do you have a cdl and not know that it doesn't have such a thing as an air brake endorsement?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.