Under 26000# with air brakes

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Gyrodeputy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Are you saying that you can pull a 9000# gvw rated trailer with a truck rated at 26000# gvw with a gross combination rating of 35000# and you don’t need a non air brake restricted cdl to drive it ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Correct. Go look at the flowchart I linked to.
    1. Is GCVWR 26,001 or more. - Yes
    2. Is the GVWR of the trailer 10,000 lbs or more: No
    3. Is the GVWR of the power unit 26,001 or more: No
    4. Is the vehicle transporting hazmat it placard quantity? No
    5. Is the vehicle designed to haul 16 or more people? No
    No CDL Required

The federal guideline mirror this. One can drive a commercial vehicle weighing up to 36,000 lbs (26,000 power and 10,000 towed) without a CDL.
    Not saying it's wise to allow or not, just saying it's legal.

Here is the link from FMCSA Drivers

Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Maybe my reading comprehension skills are lacking, but that says inclusive not exclusive. Wouldn't that mean the weight together can't be more than 26k or you have to have a cdl.

5. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I do see what you are saying on the flow chart... but the FMCSA website it sounds like it requires a Class A.... maybe that's only if it requires a license at all. Or like I said before, my reading comprehension is lacking

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually what it means is the power unit can be 16,001 and the trailer 10,000 to trigger a class A.
    If the trailer is 9,999 it does not trigger a CDL at all.

I was a pound off in my previous post, max is 35,999 as the trailer is 10,000, not 10,001.

7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    You are still off by a pound. The trailer has to have a GVWR of 10001 or more and combined with the truck GCWR has to equal 26001 or more. A 16001 power unit and a 10000 trailer does not trigger a CDL. A 16000 power unit and a 10001 trailer would though. You could have a 26000 and 10000 combination and not require a CDL. Even A 100,000 rated power and 10,000 rated trailer only requires a Class B. It’s the trailer rating and combination rating that puts one in class A territory not the power.

8. Motomadmann

Motomadmann Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2019
    So theres a job offer that says class b license with air brakes i have a class but air restricted could i still apply and not be untruthful?

9. Collie

Collie Guest

Yes but the employer will take a photo copy of your license. The person who does that type of filing most likeLy won’t have an eye on the restrictions. However, if they are big class b trucks with Eaton 8 speeds or above, I would hope you know how to shift those transmissions or you won’t look so good when they take a test drive with you. I only say this becuase you have class b with air brake restriction. So you must have took test in some sort of small truc.
    At some point dot will also do a random roadside on you and slap you and your employer with a fine and not let you drive truck back to shop

10. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Not to add anything but a funny side story, was driving a Sterling Accterra (same cab as the Class 8 Sterlings) straight truck with a rollback, pulling an RV trailer, pulled onto the scales and while waiting for the green lite scale master says DRIVER, set your brakes, so I reach down and pull up the tranny mounted E-brake, sitting there a bit longer, scale master says "DRIVER"!!!! SET YOUR BRAKES!!!, So I release my E-brake and reapply it, sitting there looking around for a second Scalemaster says, DRIVER, (almost screaming at this point), DON'T move, I'm on my way out!!!!

Now I'm thinking, what the hell did I miss? He gets out there and I have the window down and he walks up to the truck and just about rips the door off the hinges and says I TOLD YOU TO SET YOUR BRAKES!!!, I said I did, what is the problem, as I reach down and release my E-brake and then reapply it, He gets this "What a fool I feel like" look on his face and shuts my door and says get out of here,,,,,,,,

All that time he was "listening" for the air valve to pop, lol

JPSouth and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I know this is an older thread brought back to life and I didn't read it all but I do have experience with this. Air brakes under 26000 can be driven on a normal class E. Screenshot_20190921-195559.png
    Air brakes and anyone can drive it with a med card. The rental 26' trucks we got at peak were also air under 26000.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.