Uneven wear on drives brakes

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Qbf594, Jul 8, 2020.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    With everything you just said and the wasteful way things are done these days I think all these mega companies should have a recycle program. Just run the truck through a shredder after it hits 3 years old and ship the scrap back to the manufacturers to reprocess into a replacement and repeat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I can’t tell any difference from pictures. I’m wondering if the drums are wearing uneven. I’ve had mine get grooves on a couple, and none on others. Caused from heat I guess. Yet shoes aren’t always worn more. You can run your finger across them, between the shoes. Maybe the drums are worn along with shoes. Or just worn drums, and shoes are sitting inside a groove. Making them look more worn more than they are.

Qbf594 Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m not a Mechanic, but I noticed on my trailer, I only have abs sensors on one axle. Rear axle. Reading up on the system, I read that air ride systems, will have sensors on rear axle, and spring ride will have sensors on front axle. They claim because each system, works different when it comes to required brake force. So it stands to reason that the rear brakes would wear quicker, at least on my Trailer, and it seems to be the case, I’ve noticed. Your Truck probably has 4 sensors, along with 4 traction sensors that apply brakes, during a spin out. My first thought was maybe the axles running hot, but 100k, brakes should still be almost like new. Unless someone rides the brakes a lot.

Qbf594 Thanks this.
  5. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    There are a few reasons that brakes can wear unevenly. The biggest one is auto-slack
    adjusters not adjusting evenly. The springs in the maxi chambers can weaken, bend or break.
    When a chamber is replaced the push rod needs to be cut to the correct length as well.
    If its too long or short it can effect adjustment. A faulty spring can cause a brake to adjust
    not enough or too tight speeding up wear.

With auto-slack adjusters to adjust the brakes with the truck stopped build up full air pressure
    and with the park brake released make a full pressure brake application. This pushes the push
    rods out as far as the adjustment allows. Under a lot of driving conditions during a day the
    brakes may never get applied hard enough to properly adjust themselves. Not making that
    full application means the brakes are being adjusted by the park brake application.
    New park brake chambers have an application from the spring comparable to around 80 PSI
    but after a few months the springs weaken and the park application is comparable to a 60 PSI
    or less application and a lot less if a spring is broken. A 60 PSI application is not enough to
    keep the brakes adjusted properly.

With an unloaded truck try driving about 5 mph on gravel or soft ground and apply the park brake while moving and watch in the mirrors how many wheels lock up. The ones that don't lock up have weak or broken springs in the chambers.

AModelCat and Qbf594 Thank this.
  6. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    So the purple line is aimed at the cam tube, yes? I only noticed these after brakes on a trailer needed them replaced due to rust. These hold the lubricant for the cam action I'm guessing. If I was to add grease with a grease gun the little red line is aimed at a zirc fitting? I mean things can't be that different on a big truck vs a little truck.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Attached Files:

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yep. I usually pump enough grease in to just start seeing it flow out around the slack adjuster. Just watch the other end. There should be a grease seal there but it doesn't always work. Grease on brake shoes is not good. Should be a grease fitting on the slacks as well. Pump until it just starts to flow out and crackle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.